Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I've started working on the gal I found one of her other issues that got me last go around. Turn signals don't flash. With the lights off they don't do anything. There is no signal lights on the dash either. If you have the parking lights or headlights on the dash light will go solid and at least the left side lights goes solid as well. I may have bulbs out on the right side. Looking for ideas on wear to start.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Check grounds first and foremost. Not for sure that i really understand what they are doing though. Are you saying that with out any lights turned on they dont do anything?

You do have the key to the 'run' position right?

And with lights on the only indication is the left side dash indicator lights up but no flash? And the right side nothing happens?

Check ALL the bulbs after checking grounds...

Report back....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll bust out the fluke when I get off and tinker with it. Was hoping that it was a common thing. Guess not lol. Is the power gonna cone from fuse panel to the column then to flasherl relay and out to corners? But yes. When lights and parking lights are off, I get nothing. When either are on I get the green indicator in dash and left side is just solid. Possibly flasher relay.
Brian

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
If you get any blinking the flasher is okay. Check the bulbs by switching them. I would be looking at a new headlight switch. Can be tough to get out but only $20 when you do.

on edit: I have reviewed this information. It is baad information. Sorry.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just talked to a buddy with a 75 vette. He had some similar issues with his car with turnsignals not working and all.. swapping the headlight switch out solved it so I just ordered one. I'll try it in the morning if it fits.
BRian

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I hate to bust anyones bubble but the headlight switch has nothing to do with the flashers, turn or 4-way. Make sure the bulbs are pluged in the right holes in the dash and check the turn signal flasher not the 4-way flasher. Power goes from the fuse box to the flasher then to the t/s switch.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Brian,
In all my fords, if the turn signal dash light (indicator light) is on solid when you put the turn signal on. It means you have a bulb out somewhere in that turn signal circuit. It is a dummy way to say "hey you have a bulb out" Turn your signal on the left side and then check all bulbs and see which on is out. then replace it. then test the right side and do the same.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Brian,

In all my fords, if the turn signal dash light (indicator light) is on solid when you put the turn signal on. It means you have a bulb out somewhere in that turn signal circuit. It is a dummy way to say "hey you have a bulb out" Turn your signal on the left side and then check all bulbs and see which on is out. then replace it. then test the right side and do the same.
Jim,

I'm sorry but your posts are going to have to be edited by the UNUSUAL SUSPECTS here as you are displaying way too much common sense...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure why there is so much negativity here. Seems the same people **** in multiple threads, half the time just to ****. Not contribute much. Anyways. Whatever. For those helping thanks. I thought I posted it but on the left side the bulbs are solid when the headlights or parking lights are on and the left blinker is activated. For the hazards I'm pretty sure all corners work. So the bulbs should be good?
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
626 Posts
b,
Missed that part about lights on. The next thing I would check is the turn signal switch and then the connector. In mustangs it always goes bad first. you have a short somewhere, maybe in the steering column. Use your multi meter and you will find the short.

JIM

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Jim. I did just check the hazards. I had opposite corners on. Left front blinker and pass rear. Left rear and pass rear did not work but left tail doesn't work either. Played with that last night. Going to look at the socket more today when I get home.
Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I got the new switch in last night and lost the piece that holds the switch in (that threads in to switch). I spent the rest of the night looking for that before moving on. Didn't find it so I'll try again tonight to locate it. :/
Brian

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I still dont think the headlight switch is the problem as has been stated. For one I would get all the bulbs working, With the tests you have tried (lights on-off, flashers and all bulbs not working....) I would make sure you can get the bulbs to light, then move to the 'flash' part..... JM2C

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think so either but wanted to do it just to rule it out (cheap test) plus it MAY or may not play a part in the working with lights on or off. I disconnected the battery last night to remove the horn pad and didn't reconnect to test whether or not the blinkers worked. I do have a question. The lamps in the bumper. Are they only turn signals or running lights as well?
Still appreciate the assistance..
Brian

1 - 20 of 38 Posts