Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I bought a 67 Galaxie with the 390. One owner. Everything still original, and it had 80k miles. Motor isn't running. Push rods are bent. Upholstery is all original, and cracking, as is the headliner. Lots of patina on the outside. I put some new white walls and some Cragars on it (though I have the original steel rims and hub caps). I'd love to restore the whole thing, but don't have the time or funds. So I'd like to get it running and fix everything mechanical..brakes, bearings, engine, suspension, tie rods, etc.

Given that the push rods are bent, I planned on at least pulling the heads and sending them to a machine shop to get new valve guides, resurface heads, etc. But I'm wondering if it would be better to go ahead and pull the entire motor so we could check the bottom end. I don't know how to check the rod bearings without taking the engine out. Not looking for extra work, but I'd hate to do the heads just to find out it needs the crank or cam replaced or machined. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Looks like a nice find. That patina looks good too. Good luck with getting it back running. As far as the bottom end, I would take it out and check it. Unless you feel like taking the chance and installing the heads, only to have to drain all the fluids,etc and do it a second time!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts