Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My father gave me his 67 Galaxie with 390 and cruise o matic, I would like to swap out cruise o matic with a c6. What all would I need?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
Some folks say there's nothing to it, some, not so much. I think you need to find the C6 bellhousing for a FE, maybe another driveshaft, a transmission crossmember. If you have duals, cut one of the pipes. Speedo cable, steering column indicator. Maybe some linkage too, including the e-brake. I'm sure you will find the real scoop here somewhere.

·
Registered
197 Posts
1 question.WHY? I rebuilt the original cruise-o in my 62 xl in 2007.It hasent given me any problems since.Is a C6 that much better? I also have a 390 300 hp engine.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hello everyone,

My father gave me his 67 Galaxie with 390 and cruise o matic, I would like to swap out cruise o matic with a c6. What all would I need?

Thanks for any help.
Hello Broken Crank,

To start you'll need a long tailshaft C6 and as puttster said one with an FE bell housing and FE torque converter (FE's have a different sized pilot). The transmission cross brace on a '67 I believe can be just flipped around. You'll need a C4 or C6 trans mount as well.

Along with the transmission you'll need the slip yoke for the C6. As for the propshaft length, not sure if the length will change. Come to think of it I have driveshafts out for both the FX transmission with FE and one for a C6 with FE for that chassis. I'd be happy to measure to see if there are any differences if you'd like.

A few more things to keep in mind on the C6. Besides needing a long tail shaft model, the gear select lever comes in two flavors; one for column shift and one for factory floor shift. I'm sure either could be adapted, however getting the wrong one will not be a plug and play sort of thing. The last note that comes to mind is that the 1966 and early '67 C6's have the dual range valve body. Anything after mid '67 is called the select shift and has the familiar P R N D 2 L. Whereas the dual range is P R N 'open dot' 'green dot' L.

If you would like some pics of the C6 to look for I have both C6 models (floor shift and column shift) out and I can send some pics your way if you like. Or if you want to see how it all connects up to the chassis I can send those as well.

Hope that helps a bit...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello Broken Crank,

To start you'll need a long tailshaft C6 and as puttster said one with an FE bell housing and FE torque converter (FE's have a different sized pilot). The transmission cross brace on a '67 I believe can be just flipped around. You'll need a C4 or C6 trans mount as well.

Along with the transmission you'll need the slip yoke for the C6. As for the propshaft length, not sure if the length will change. Come to think of it I have driveshafts out for both the FX transmission with FE and one for a C6 with FE for that chassis. I'd be happy to measure to see if there are any differences if you'd like.

A few more things to keep in mind on the C6. Besides needing a long tail shaft model, the gear select lever comes in two flavors; one for column shift and one for factory floor shift. I'm sure either could be adapted, however getting the wrong one will not be a plug and play sort of thing. The last note that comes to mind is that the 1966 and early '67 C6's have the dual range valve body. Anything after mid '67 is called the select shift and has the familiar P R N D 2 L. Whereas the dual range is P R N 'open dot' 'green dot' L.

If you would like some pics of the C6 to look for I have both C6 models (floor shift and column shift) out and I can send some pics your way if you like. Or if you want to see how it all connects up to the chassis I can send those as well.

Hope that helps a bit...
I recently did this same swap. Found a long tailshaft FE model which had recently been rebuilt on CL. It bolted right in, for the most part. As mentioned above, make sure you get the right torque converter (I got one with the trans). The trans crossmember can indeed be turned 180 degrees and lines up, however the mount itself will need to be replaced (I think they're like $25 online). I still don't have a working speedo, so I'm no help there. Also, the dipstick from the C-O-M won't work, so make sure you get the proper dipstick.

On the drive shaft, the one that was in my car seemed to work fine with the C6. However, it seems to me that its too long. It went in, but it feels like it has no room for the slip yoke to move. DesertXL, would you mine measuring your two driveshafts for me? I'm wondering if i just need to have mine trimmed a bit. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hello,

Sure thing. I'll put them side by side with a pic or two making note or measurements of any differences I see.

~DesertXL

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Okie Dokie, here's the pictures of the differences in prop shafts.

Just to recap, both are out of a 1966 ford full size (gal and LTD), both are FE engines and both have 9" rear ends. The only difference is on transmissions; one is an FX and the other a C6.
I've lined them up even at the slip yoke end. (The black prop shaft is the FX one)

There's exactly 3" of length difference.

The FX slip yoke is 1.498" in outside dia.

The C6 slip yoke is 1.684" outside dia. The two are definitely not interchangeable.

This is a C6 with a factory floor shifter, note the shift lever type and position on the transmission.

This is the bracket and lever position and type needed for a column shift.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
22 Posts
WOW! I am surprised by that 3" of difference. I can't imagine if the C6 i put in my Gal was 3" longer than the trans I took out that the drive shaft would even go into place. It feels tight, but not THAT tight. I'm going to pull it out and have another look at this whole thing. Thank you for taking the time to do that, i really appreciate it!

Also, on the difference in the slip-yoke, mine is tight in the seal, with no play at all and no leaks. Strange. I'm almost wondering if my car either had a different trans at some point than the one I pulled out, or if this drive shaft is not original to the car. Very weird.

Matt

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
WOW! I am surprised by that 3" of difference. I can't imagine if the C6 i put in my Gal was 3" longer than the trans I took out that the drive shaft would even go into place. It feels tight, but not THAT tight. I'm going to pull it out and have another look at this whole thing. Thank you for taking the time to do that, i really appreciate it!

Also, on the difference in the slip-yoke, mine is tight in the seal, with no play at all and no leaks. Strange. I'm almost wondering if my car either had a different trans at some point than the one I pulled out, or if this drive shaft is not original to the car. Very weird.

Matt
Hello 67Galaxiefor6,

My pleasure to help out.

You might have had the MX transmission. The term "Cruise-o-matic" applied to FX and MX transmissions including the dual range C4 and C6. So it gets very very very confusing :)

The FX slip yoke wouldn't have even fit on the C6 tail shaft as it's just too small in dia.

Cheers...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put c6 in my 390 64 galaxie went in easy redrilled cross member 64 drive shaft had to use c6 trans yoke I need to find soeedo info only thing I need to be fixed I like a speedo working

1 - 11 of 11 Posts