Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '67 Galaxie which came from the factory with a 289 (now 302), FX automatic transmission and column shifter. Over the years I've been able to piece together all the parts to do a factory floor shifter conversion. I have the console, transmission hump, floor shifter, steering column, etc.

Looking through the shop manual it appears, for reasons unknown to me, that the floor shifter was offered with the C4 and C6 transmission but not with the FX. Has anyone done this conversion with an FX transmission and if so, what obstacles might I be facing? I've read that the transmission shifter lever my need to be rotated which I don't know is even possible with the FX. In addition to that, one of my concerns is when the transmission is in R, N, D or any other detent, will the floor shifter indicate that correctly or will it be between indicators? Is there any fool-proof way find out where the indicator will land before I take the plunge and cut a hole in the floor? If it's going to land between indicators I"ll probably rethink the conversion as I want things to be as accurate as possible.

Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
708 Posts
AFAIK there is no floor shift linkage for the FX trans.

The FMX from 68-on came with floor shift linkage in Mustangs, Fairlane's/Torino's etc.
Somewhat rare as most of those got the C4 or C6 but some were built with the FMX.

I'm fairly sure the FMX linkage will not fit the FX trans. I could be wrong.

In any case the FMX floor shift linkage might be hard to find.

Please post a pic of your existing linkage at the trans.
Looking straight on at the side of the trans with as much of the linkage in view as possible.

Maybe we can figure something out.
No promises. ;)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, I'll try to get some pics of it this weekend.

I was thinking of running a long cable from the floor shifter to the front of the linkage instead of trying to reverse the lever. I thought that might work as the existing linkage is coming from forward of the lever. Still my concern would be if the shift indicator would show the correct position. Seems more complicated than I thought it would be when I was collecting all the parts.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, it becomes a tricky geometry problem to get the detents to match between shifter and trans,
esp when you are mixing and matching parts/levers.

I get wanting to have the detents right.
I absolutely hate driving a car with a shifter that doesn't line up properly.

Here's a 69 Cougar FMX floor shifter trans linkage.

IF it fits the FX trans it would be a good starting point.

Note that most Ford floor shift linkages at the trans point "up"
and "sometimes" you can flip the column linkage to point up,
but no guarantee that it will be the correct length for the shifter in the car.

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Somewhere on the forum from a few years ago and maybe more recent there were pics of what someone did to his to make it work for I believe column shift. But maybe yours is already column shift ready and the floor shift is messing things up. Every transmission i put in my car (4) had floor shift and I had to change it. Think i still have it in a box. They added another pieces of bar stock to the end of the lever. Others used lokar cable kits. I bet if you do a search you will find several threads on it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have a '67 Galaxie which came from the factory with a 289 (now 302), FX automatic transmission and column shifter. Over the years I've been able to piece together all the parts to do a factory floor shifter conversion. I have the console, transmission hump, floor shifter, steering column, etc.

Looking through the shop manual it appears, for reasons unknown to me, that the floor shifter was offered with the C4 and C6 transmission but not with the FX. Has anyone done this conversion with an FX transmission and if so, what obstacles might I be facing? I've read that the transmission shifter lever my need to be rotated which I don't know is even possible with the FX. In addition to that, one of my concerns is when the transmission is in R, N, D or any other detent, will the floor shifter indicate that correctly or will it be between indicators? Is there any fool-proof way find out where the indicator will land before I take the plunge and cut a hole in the floor? If it's going to land between indicators I"ll probably rethink the conversion as I want things to be as accurate as possible.

Any and all comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
Hello 289Galaxie,

The '65 gal 500 XL came with a floor shifter (centre console) that had either an FX or MX transmission, FX for 352 CID or smaller and MX for 390 and larger as the C6 didn't debut till '66. That being said, I would assume, and I said assume (take it with a grain of salt) that your FX would probably work. Now the tricky bit as you pointed out, how are you to know if the scale on the shifter will match the gear selected in the trans, there are two factors; a simple offset and total length of travel. To measure total length of travel simply measure the secant distance of the arc travel of the shifter lever hole on the transmission from Park to 1 then do the same on the console shifter. This will tell you if you need a different length selector lever (the connecting hole either further out or further in) on the transmission. A simple offset adjustment is in the connecting rod between the transmission and the console shifter.

I'm not sure what console style is in '67. We have a '66 gal 500 XL with a factory centre console with a T-Handle and a '68 XL with a factory centre console with a horse shoe shifter. However both use a similar connecting rod with a slotted adjustment for offset. Keeping in mind the total length of travel is set by the distance from the connecting hole in the lever to the selector shaft in the transmission lever. So a possible problem would be if in Park the indicator lines up but in D, 2 or 1 the indicator is off. At that point you would need to fashion your own transmission shift lever or hunt the proper one down.

Now here's some pictures of a C6 for column shift and a C6 for floor shift, the shift lever is different between them and they are both for a '66 full size car.

You can see the slotted adjustment for offset only in the connecting rod. My '68 factory floor shift is the same as this '66 factory floor shift.

You can see there are two different style levers for the same transmission and same style car. This one is for column shift.

I hope that helps a bit.

Good luck

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
galaxiex, Here's a few pictures that I was able to take today. The transmission lever appears to be at approximately the 7:00 position. Lokar makes a shifter assembly for an FMX transmission which looks to have the transmission lever in the same position as mine. I'm wondering if I could use that type of cable set-up with my factory floor shifter and existing transmission lever?

DesertXL, The floor shifter moves in a straight line with 2-1/2" between the points but I wasn't able to measure the secant(?) distance (had to look that up and still can't grasp it). The transmission lever moves in an arc and I wasn't able to measure the total travel lying on my back and climbing into the car moving between gears. Measured in a straight line it was approximately 2-3/4".

The '67 console is very similar to the '68 with the exception of horseshoe shifter vs. straight. I just laid it in the car this morning to see how it would look and for reference. I'm planning on using the rectangular box at the front of the console to house mini gauges.

IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG
491COC4CXLB_L_3447f8bb-b9a6-4a53-b0d4-633113e2a44e.jpg
IMG_1318.jpg
IMG_1319.jpg

·
Registered
708 Posts
A couple observations....

Using the cable will mean you have to cobble together/fabricate brackets to make it work.
Fine if you're ok with that, I don't know your fab skills.... BUT....
... using the cable there is no guarantee the detents in the shifter and trans will line up properly.
It might work but hard to say without trying it.

It looks like your existing trans lever could be rotated 180 degrees to make it work with the floor shifter.
But it might then interfere with the kickdown lever.... and still no guarantee the detents will line up.

Best solution... try to find the floor shift linkage for the FX trans.

Most expensive solution...
Put a C6 in there and get the "now available in reproduction" C6 floor shift linkage.

Linkage - Manual Control Assembly - C-6 - Repro ~ 1967 - 1969 Mercury Cougar - 1967 - 1969 Ford Mustang - Torino - Fairlane

That console looks way cool in there. :cool:

Hope you can make it work.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I still have a lot of researching to do. Regarding your most expensive option using the C6 I didn't think those would bolt up to a small block. Looking at the Fordification.com website it looks like what was used from the factory for a 289 with console shift was a C4 with an identification tag of PEA-B. So if anyone happens to have one just lying around I might be your guy!

As DesertXL pointed out, they're showing several variations of the FX transmission used with 65-66 352ci console shift cars. Don't know whether or not that would be a direct bolt on.

Oh, and fabrication skills? Nah, that's why my buddy volunteered for this project. Funny he doesn't answer my calls any more though.......

·
Registered
708 Posts
Oh... sorry I forgot you have a small block.
Yes the C4 with floor shift linkage would be ok, tho there is a C6 with small block bell housing bolt pattern.
The C6 floor lever will not fit the C4.

Still the best option is to find the FX trans floor shift linkage.
No need to swap the whole trans, just install the floor linkage in your trans.

From over 45 years in the trans repair biz....
I have a bunch of Ford trans levers that I have saved over the years (mostly floor shift type cuz I knew they would become scarce). ;)
I don't recall ever seeing or saving a FX floor lever... I might have an FMX floor lever tho...
I'll check my stash later today and see if I have something that might work... or at least get it close...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Ok, I have what I think is a floor lever for an FMX trans.

It "might" fit an FX trans, but I'm not sure about that.

Looks like the center to center distance on the lever is just shy of 2 1/4"

To install the lever in your trans the valve body will need to be removed.
Not a difficult job... but can be tricky to do if you have no experience with these units.

Best to find someone that is familiar with these transmissions if you have any doubts about doing it yourself.

MOST IMPORTANT!
Do NOT over tighten the large nut that holds the linkage inside the trans.
That thin hollow threaded part of the linkage is VERY fragile.
It WILL snap off if over tightened.

If you don't have any luck finding/making/getting the proper lever for this job,
I will send you the lever I have since I have no use for it.
Again, I don't know that this is the proper lever for your trans, but it sure looks close.
If you decide to take this lever, all I ask is the postage cost.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's quite the collection you have there. I'm curious if the outer diameter of the shaft is the same regardless of whether it's a C4, C6, FMX, etc.. Your thoughts?

This isn't something I'd be able to tackle myself so everything is dependent upon if/when my buddy is able to help. Not sure when that will be so I have to be patient.

I really appreciate your offer but I'd have to give you something for the lever as well as postage. I'm wondering if I should buy it from you regardless. That way when the time comes we'll have it on hand as opposed to pulling everything apart and having to stop. If it's correct, great and if not, no big deal we'll have to come up with a plan "B".

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes, the outer diameter of all those shafts is the same.

Sure hope your buddy is familiar with these transmissions.
I maybe didn't emphasize enough that they can be tricky to work on.
I even know experienced trans guys that have NO experience with these old Ford cast iron units..
... and even they screw things up cuz they think "it's just an old trans, I can fix it"...
...and then they make a royal mess of it. :rolleyes:

It's not rocket science... but whomever is working on it needs to be extra careful, and experience really helps.
A shop manual for your trans would be a big asset for the procedures involved.

PM me your address and I will get a postage quote.

·
Registered
1964 Ford Custom 500 2dr sedan
36 Posts
A potential backup plan popped into my head while reading this thread. If you do end up cutting a hole in your floor and it ends up not lining up on the indicator you could remove the indicator window and have some acrylic cut to match the shape. You could then put in the makeshift window and use some of these to mark your detents.

·
Registered
708 Posts
A potential backup plan popped into my head while reading this thread. If you do end up cutting a hole in your floor and it ends up not lining up on the indicator you could remove the indicator window and have some acrylic cut to match the shape. You could then put in the makeshift window and use some of these to mark your detents.
That's not gonna work.
There are detents in the trans AND in the shifter that have to line up with each other.
Changing the indicator window might make the pointer line up, but that is not safe.
What if the shifter won't lock in Park because of the mis-aligned detents?

Here's a pic of a Ford automatic shifter bucket with the notched detent plate I am talking about.
This is inside the car.

There is a similar spring loaded detent inside the trans.
Both have to line up properly.

This video is about rebuilding a Ford or Mercury automatic shifter and will give you an understanding on how these things work.

Jump to about 13:04 to see the shifter detent in action.

Besides all that... did you look at his console shifter picture in the post above?
He has the 67 that has an aluminum plate and the little jewel P R N D 2 1 indicators that light up in each gear.
You really wanna mess up that nice factory indicator setup? :rolleyes: ;) :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
289 Galaxie....

The more I am researching this and looking at pictures of trans levers...
the more I think the FMX lever I have will work in your FX trans.

Of course trial will tell, but I'm more sure of it now than a few hours ago.

Oh, and do you have the factory rod that goes from the shifter lever to the trans lever?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Besides all that... did you look at his console shifter picture in the post above?
He has the 67 that has an aluminum plate and the little jewel P R N D 2 1 indicators that light up in each gear.
You really wanna mess up that nice factory indicator setup? :rolleyes: ;) :)
Yeah, I definitely don't want to hack up the original. I was able to find an NOS aluminum plate ("Applique" in Ford jargon) and an indicator lens that was broken in three places. There were no missing parts so I was able to glue it back together and repainted the letters with a white Painter's Pen. I used a small LED bulb in place of the incandescent one and it works fine. Everything isn't perfect but I'm happy with the way it turned out.

IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_1002.jpg

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
289 Galaxie....
Oh, and do you have the factory rod that goes from the shifter lever to the trans lever?
I have an NOS rod that I picked up a while back that I painted black in anticipation of this project. I believe it's for a C4/C6 and hopefully it works for my application if this is the route we go. I also have a rod from something else that's shorter and turned at a different angle.

fullsizeoutput_858.jpeg

·
Registered
708 Posts
Nice that you have the rod for the C6.
It should be very close for working with the FX trans.

Little off topic but for my 66 500XL I wanted the cool jewel indicators for the shifter,
even tho the 66 did not come that way from factory.
I have a busted up console from a 69 XL but the jewel plate was still good.

I cobbled together some bits and pieces and made it fit my 66 console.
Fabbed up the aluminum plate that fits over the jewel plate

Then I went even farther and used individual LED's to light up each gear position.

This required making a small circuit board,
and the hard part...
Fabricating a linkage to operate a 6 position rotary switch to turn on each LED.

The big holes in the console top plate are for gauges.

Quite a bit of time consuming fab work, but I'm happy with how it turned out.
Not "quite" done with it yet, but I think it's gonna look and work ok.

Sorry for the off topic. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts