Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nice that you have the rod for the C6.
It should be very close for working with the FX trans.

Little off topic but for my 66 500XL I wanted the cool jewel indicators for the shifter,
even tho the 66 did not come that way from factory.
I have a busted up console from a 69 XL but the jewel plate was still good.

I cobbled together some bits and pieces and made it fit my 66 console.
Fabbed up the aluminum plate that fits over the jewel plate

Then I went even farther and used individual LED's to light up each gear position.

This required making a small circuit board,
and the hard part...
Fabricating a linkage to operate a 6 position rotary switch to turn on each LED.

The big holes in the console top plate are for gauges.

View attachment 165278

View attachment 165279

View attachment 165280

View attachment 165281

View attachment 165282

View attachment 165283

View attachment 165284

View attachment 165285

Quite a bit of time consuming fab work, but I'm happy with how it turned out.
Not "quite" done with it yet, but I think it's gonna look and work ok.

Sorry for the off topic. :)
Hello galaxiex,

I'm not one to usually comment, but you sir did a really nice job on this. This is the kind of work that tickles my fancy more than anything else. Bloody brilliant! I'd like to see more pictures if you have them.

Cheers

DXL

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I completely agree with DesertXL. That is amazing that you were able to come up with the idea and execute it perfectly! Nice work!

Don't be surprised if you see me pulling into your driveway with a trunk full of parts.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wow, thanks guys! :)
I never imagined my little project would be of such interest.

DesertXL I can get some more pics up if 289Galaxie doesn't mind me posting them in this thread.

289Galaxie, ha, ha yeah come on up with your parts if you don't mind waiting a year or so. ;):)

I have so many projects happening I don't know which way is up. :rolleyes:

I'm also one of the lucky ones that still has a full time job, and that is getting busier than ever.
It's getting hard for a 62 year old guy to keep up this pace.

Cheers!
Dale

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Go ahead and post away! I like seeing the pics as well so have at it.

62 years old? I'm only 6 months behind you and I know what you mean about keeping up the pace. Oh boy......

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ok pics of shifter stuff, should be self explanatory but questions welcome.

Wires not yet soldered to the switch, I was waiting to finalize everything...

Last pic (next post) show the "moving lamp" that I welded to the stick.
It didn't work out so well, wouldn't line up properly and would bleed light to the next gear position.
That's why I did the individual LED and switch thing.

Oops, forum limit on pics.

Couple more in next post

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I still find it amazing that people such as yourself, DesertXL and others can think of this stuff, figure out how to make your vision work and see it through to completion. Good stuff.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Just did a little more research on the lever I'm looking for.

After looking at the Master Parts Catalog it shows 65-66 console shift FX transmission lever is part # C3AZ-7A256-D which would be used from 1963.

The catalog shows the part number for 67-69 as C7AZ-7A256-D but it doesn't differentiate between column and console because I believe the FX in '67 was offered only with column shift. To get the console shifter required the C4 per the Fordification.com website.

It seems to me that the C3AZ-7A256-D which was used prior to '67 might works for me. If anyone would like to offer any opinions I'm all ears.

Heres a pic of the page from the MPC. Just a side note: The top of the page shows Automatic Transmission C/M Type this is from the text part of the catalog but the illustration page shows Automatic Transmission C/M Type- FX/MX model. I don't know what C/M Type means. Maybe Cruise-O-Matic?

Scan 2020-5-5 19.02.59.jpg

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yup, C/M means Cruise-O-Matic.

Great research!
So now we have a part # to search with, that is a big help. :)

I believe you are correct. C3AZ-7A256-D should work for your application.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We now have the correct transmission lever installed and everything else connected correctly. Transmission shifts through all gears but the car will start in reverse only. I have a NOS neutral switch installed on the floor shifter and adjusted as per the shop manual instructions. So, if the switch is new, correct for the car and adjusted properly can anyone suggest what the issue may be? Are we overlooking something? Thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Wires for neutral start are red with a blue stripe.

Wires for back up lamps are black with a red stripe.

Unplug neutral safety/back up switch (NSBU) and jumper the appropriate wires on the harness side (not the switch side).

Jumper the 2 red/blue wires and the engine should crank with the key. In any gear!!! Be careful!!!

Jumper the 2 black/red wires with key on and the back up lamps should light.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Thanks Galaxiex for responding. I just got back from my friends house and everything now works although not exactly as the factory designed. For some reason, when we moved the switch assembly 3/16" from the factory mounting holes everything worked. We moved it back to factory position and same issue. It's seems as though in the factory position there's not enough travel in the switch lever and it bottoms out. So it's now mounted in it's new position as it works correctly there. Not exactly ideal but functional nonetheless.

I don't know if although the switch is NOS it might be faulty, or something else is going on. Maybe I'll pick up another switch to have on hand "just in case."

Update: Same issue with new switch. Don't know what's going on but it works in new location so we'll leave it there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just to update in case anyone with an FX transmission is thinking about changing to a factory floor shifter. It can be done and work properly using the factory C4 shift rod and an FMX floor shifter transmission lever. The detents align perfectly so there's no guessing what gear you're in.

If not for the help, knowledge and generosity of forum member galaxiex, this project would still be sitting idle. He had the last piece of the puzzle (FMX shifter lever) that enabled us to move forward and complete the project. Thanks, galaxiex.

Here's a few pictures if interested. We cut the hole in floor much smaller and neater than the factory did and had no clearance issues.

For some reason I can't get all the pics on this one post. I'll add a few in the next post.

IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0331.jpg
IMG_1360.jpg

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
The rectangular box at the front of the console used to house switches and/or warning lights but was too small for what I needed. We made a slightly larger box out of textured plastic that we heated and formed around a wood block that we fashioned. The chrome lip is just door edge guard that you get at the auto parts store.

The Auto-Meter mini gauges that are currently located in the dash to the left of the steering column will be replaced with Dakota Digital gauges that will be installed in the new box.

The ashtray was removed and we made a cup holder for the compartment. The steering column was replaced with a floor shift column to complete the factory appearance.

IMG_1418.jpg
IMG_1381.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg
IMG_1417.JPG

·
Super Moderator
21,617 Posts
Glad you got it done! Another mystery solved! Every time I changed transmissions I had to change the rod in the transmission to the column shift one. 4 times and never got lucky enough to not have to change it. I had the MX before I finally had an FX rebuilt. But the transmission lines attached different from the previous ones BUT the shift lever was correct for column. A if not one thing it's another, moment!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts