Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
All I could find are universal fit ones that you would have to rig up a mount or use cable ties to mount to the core support. Is that one leaking? If not why not clean it up and repaint it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I thought about trying to restore it but the fins are basically rusted together. I could try but am worried that it may leak after I get done with the "restore". Are these cars know for power steering overheating? What are the symptoms of overheated power steering fluid?

Patrick

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello iammacleod,

I do believe there is an NOS one on E-Bay right now, although it may seem a bit pricey.

The reason why most of the 3rd gen (65-68) and possibly 4th gen galaxies have them is they use the old round Ford Thompson power steering pump using only ATF as the fluid and not regular clear power steering fluid.

The older round Ford-Thompson power steering pumps and steering gears systems are purported to have a relatively high flow rate. The high flow rate creates heat, even if assist is not needed (staying in a straight line).

From what I observed on the 3rd gen galaxies/LTD/XL's etc is that the power steering cooler was fitted if it had factory air con and an FE, but there may be more to that.

The 1965 cooler was half mounted on the steering gear, the '66 was mounted in the radiator support and the '68 was mounted atop the compressor bracket. I have never seen a '67 with the cooler but from your pictures it looks like it attaches to the radiator support piece?

As far as flow rate is concerned, you have to match the calibrated flow rate of the pump to the calibrated spool valve in the steering gear. Use a later power steering pump (lower flow rate) on an older steering gear and the power steering will feel under assisted or even jerky. If you do the opposite it will be over assisted and might go into oscillation.

The old round Ford Thompson pumps are getting scarce as I don't believe you can outright buy one anymore and use your old one as a core. Most places are just rebuild services where you have to send in your old one to be rebuilt and you get your old one back again.

Sorry for the long winded response, just thought I'd share what I've learned about the 3rd gen power steering system as I've had to rebuild the pumps and gears. Finding all the parts for rebuild can be tricky.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I checked with someone I know on FB page for '67s who seems to part out quite a few cars but the two he has now are missing the core supports. I know of a yard here in Colorado that might have the part but I have no idea if they would pull it and ship it or if you would even want a used one. I can PM you their info if you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi I have one here its from a ltd that I got the disc brakes from not sure of the year its a little different it does have the mounting brackets on it the cooler lines come straight out from the cooler not a 90 like yours but you can have it we will just have to figure out shipping im in Canada You can let me know peter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts