Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm needing a black steering wheel for my 67 XL. Does anyone know if a 68 wheel is the same? Dearborn Classics has new steering wheels for Galaxies other than a 67 so if the same I can order one from them (however, they cannot confirm). I don't need the horn ring or cap; just the wheel. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
If you find that a 68 fits I have the one I removed thats in very good shape. Complete wheel/ring and center piece - $80

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have one, but it's white and I don't remember if it has any cracks or not. I will run out to the storage shed sometime today and check if you are interested.

Jim

·
Registered
322 Posts
Are you talking about what's correct, or what will fit?
Virtually any Ford wheel from any year will fit any column from any year. The 67 wheel and center hub are one year only.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm wanting a exact replacement steering wheel that will allow me to use my existing 67 horn ring and center pad. I'd hoped I might be able to use a wheel from another year but apparently it's not possible. It's looking like I might have to send my wheel to a restoration shop unless I can find one not cracked. For 673904spd; I'm interested in the one you mentioned above if it's not cracked.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check some of the wrecking yards in the area that still have old (classic) Fords from the 60's and 70's to see if my ring and pad will fit. Even if I don't find one it's always a good time looking at the cars. Plus, I'll be traveling in the mountains of Western NC this weekend. Might get lucky and find one there. Ha!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just got back from the storage shed and the wheel I have has a nice big crack right at the 12 o'clock position. Not sure it any better than the one you have......

As an option, Grant makes a similar wheel to the old woodrim 7 Litre wheel that I thought about trying out. Just a thought.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts