Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New member in Renton Wa. I have a newly purchased Ford Fairlane GTA with a 428. I am looking to upgrade the headers and the rear suspension to start with, possibly 4 link and coilovers, and headers with better fit and ground clearance. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
Hi Fred, for a street car, really on;y two choices for a good fitting street header. FPA (who I think may be going out of business, great company, but I think he is retiring) and Hooker 6113s. Either case, recommend you get them ceramic coated, it's worth the money for heat, looks and longevity

Apologize if you know this already, but that being said, you have to match the header to the exhaust port. If you have C7AE-A, C8AE-H, cylinder heads or the unlikely D2TE-AA (and a few others), the Hookers won't easily work and you need FPA with the GT flange.

If you have early FE, CJ, or any aftermarket head, you can use FPAs with the CJ flange or Hooker 6113.

There are two reasons, 1 - minor - the GT heads have a different bolt pattern than CJ heads, 2 - major - The GT heads have a lower exhaust port in relation to the bolt pattern. What that means is the gasket either doesn't seal with a mismatch, or barely seals. People, including me, have got away with the mismatch, but it isn't right and can shorten the life of gaskets, which when matched and tightened nicely and evenly, pretty much last forever

Hope this helps, post your head casting number if unsure what you need

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check out the FPA and Hooker headers, below are the numbers I found on the block. I'm guessing its one of the three listed in the third column, Would the heads determine or the internals. I'll see if I can get to the head casting numbers tomorrow. Thanks for the input brother

C7ME-A'67 - '70/ 428 c.i.d.428-4V, Police Interceptor, Cobra Jet

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will check out the FPA and Hooker headers, below are the numbers I found on the block. I'm guessing its one of the three listed in the third column, Would the heads determine or the internals. I'll see if I can get to the head casting numbers tomorrow. Thanks for the input brother

You may know but FPA is in Puyallup . Stan built the headers for my 70 Cyclone with the Rod and Custom Motorsports coil over front end. It also has a 4-speed. He knew about the front end and what it would take to clear everything. I didn't have him coat the headers just in case they would need to be modified. Stan has the headers coated in Auburn so once you know they fit you can just have them coated yourself. Rod and Custom Motorsports also makes a 4 link for your car.

I just picked up a 67 289 GTA which will be my next project. I think I can kind of copy the 4-link I purchased for the Cyclone and make one myself. I'll have to buy the heim joints and shocks. Here's a picture, I couldn't wait to get it home and check out the rust situation, all is good.
Fairlane1.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts

Look between the center two plugs, the block number doesn't matter. You need to know the head casting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts