Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A freind is trying to buy a 67 mustang it has a 428 in it. by all my research fir never put a 428 in 67 mustang the engine code on the stang is C = 289 2V did ford ever put a 428 in a 67 mustang I know they did strange thing back then what would the idenify it with if they did put the 428 in a 67 mustang

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Are you sure it is a 428? I know that a 390 can be had in a 67 Mustang. Make sure it is a 428 if you are buying it for the 428.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

It's a freind of ours It's 2+2 with a engine code C witch is a 289 2V the onwer claims the dealer put a 428 in it ??????? that would take a trans, 9" rear end and so on has anybody heard of dealers doing this and how would they recode it

·
Registered
809 Posts
On 2002-01-09 09:28, radracing wrote:

It's a freind of ours It's 2+2 with a engine code C witch is a 289 2V the onwer claims the dealer put a 428 in it ??????? that would take a trans, 9" rear end and so on has anybody heard of dealers doing this and how would they recode it
First off it is illegal to to change the engine code, as it is part of the vehicle identification number. 428 Cobra Jets were available April '68 in Mustangs. Except for the Shelby's, the only big block installed at the factory before then was the 390. With a big block the tranny will have been changed as well. Also the rear should have been upgraded to a 9" as a 8" would have been installed at the factory.

Since 390s look almost identical to 428s you need to look at the casting numbers and date codes to identify the original source of the engine. Biggest problem is that block casting numbers(C6ME is most common) is often identical for the 390/428s. The only sure fire way to tell without pulling a head, is to check for a ballance weight attached to the fllwheel/flexplate. The 428s were externally ballanced and require the extra weight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Radracing,

If you are ever going to backup that the motor was dealer installed, I think you will need paperwork and invocies from the dealer that orignally sold the car.

Ask if he has this paperwork and if not ask for the original dealers name. If the dealer is still in business you could go by and see if they have records back that far. I suspect you'll have a snowball chance it heck of them having the records though.

Last, is the car going to be worth more even if you prove the engine was dealer installed? You'll need to talk to an expert on that one.

Dale302

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the guy selling the car is full of BS!!!!!!!!!!!! I seen a 68 shelby 500 that had no shelby ID tag on it I told him let me call shelby hot line and run the vin # oh you can do that, oh ya let me check it out and I'll call you well never heard from him. I told my freind to only pay for a 289 2V stang if you love the stang!!!

Alan

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Tasca Ford in Rhode Island was dealer installing 428s in 68 Mustangs for a while, but I don't remember if they ever did that for any of the 67s. Tasca was heavily involved in the Ford racing program at the time and 'kinda sorta' had permission from Ford to do this. Cars had incredible straight line performance, but even with heavier front springs they'd dig furrows in the pavement with the front bumper when they went around corners!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts