Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 283 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, the Mazda seats are the bomb, light and CHEAP! Did you see how I put them in? Fun fab job, but not just a drop in.
Fantastic work man! Floor pan installation looked perfect as well! 93/94 Mazda seats are excellent as well... Got 'em in my Falconaround....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the link with your updates, the car is looking great and making lots of progress.
Keep up the progress and keep me posted.
dont forget the Turkey Rod run this Thanksgiving!!!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hey man, sorry for not keeping up with your updates! Lots going on around here lately lol.

Anyhow, just wanted to say the seats look GREAT. What do they weigh each?? And also how do they fit in the car as compared with the clutch pedal and throttle? I'm running stupid Summit race buckets right now, and oh MAN I hate them =/.

Good to see your car moving along at a nice steady clip! I finally managed to get mine fired and even to the track. Can't wait to see what yours does!

Cris

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Cris, glad to see you back! I have not weighed them, certainly heavier than the race buckets, I am guessing 30-40lbs each? Very comfortable though, especially with the roll bar. They sit a bit lower than stock, I am 5-10 and I have them all the way back against the roll bar, but the throttle and clutch are perfect. With the 14 inch steering wheel easy to get over the roll bar and under the wheel, still have to do the backwards in and out though.
With the Comp plus in the stock shifter hole, 3rd gear was a stretch reaching for it, the V Gate puts it all by my right knee and a flick of the wrist I am in all four gears. You can adjust the track mounting to fit your size, so I put them in for me at full extension (tech article on that work), but also can move em up if the wife ever gets the notion. So far she rode for one burnout and then watching the V Gate, and she stopped asking to drive it! (the shifter works, no one wants to drive it now)
Going to tackle the front end and body work this winter, then take this motor down the track - get some numbers on this engine/trans/ suspension set up (sort of baseline to see what the difference is with the new stuff on the old motor - last time the car went down the track it had this short block/cam with a C-4 on stock wore out rear leafs and slapper bars). I hope to get with the program on a better power, been collecting parts for that build.
Hey man, sorry for not keeping up with your updates! Lots going on around here lately lol.

Anyhow, just wanted to say the seats look GREAT. What do they weigh each?? And also how do they fit in the car as compared with the clutch pedal and throttle? I'm running stupid Summit race buckets right now, and oh MAN I hate them =/.

Good to see your car moving along at a nice steady clip! I finally managed to get mine fired and even to the track. Can't wait to see what yours does!

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Cris, glad to see you back! I have not weighed them, certainly heavier than the race buckets, I am guessing 30-40lbs each? Very comfortable though, especially with the roll bar. They sit a bit lower than stock, I am 5-10 and I have them all the way back against the roll bar, but the throttle and clutch are perfect. With the 14 inch steering wheel easy to get over the roll bar and under the wheel, still have to do the backwards in and out though.
Glad to be back!! Also glad I caught this lol...I traded my Summit race buckets for a tore up pair of deluxe Miata seats the day you replied! Get to pick them up this weekend lol.

Going to tackle the front end and body work this winter, then take this motor down the track - get some numbers on this engine/trans/ suspension set up (sort of baseline to see what the difference is with the new stuff on the old motor - last time the car went down the track it had this short block/cam with a C-4 on stock wore out rear leafs and slapper bars). I hope to get with the program on a better power, been collecting parts for that build.
I'm considering doing much the same thing...only I need to work the suspension first to make the thing safe lol, then a mix of paint/body and bringing in the power. If I can at all help you with yours man, just ask!

Cris

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Cool. the thing I like about the Miatas, they dont take up a lot of room, they tilt and slide so the kids moneying through the roll bar is not so bad, the stock Miata seats also have duel locks on the slides, far better than most locks - dual slider locks are NHRA reqmt too. Hope you like me, a little heavier than the race buckets, but I can stand riding in my buds car with the race buckets. Also the CALTRAC mono's are a wee bit stiffer, so the ride is nice with decent seats.
Glad to be back!! Also glad I caught this lol...I traded my Summit race buckets for a tore up pair of deluxe Miata seats the day you replied! Get to pick them up this weekend lol.

I'm considering doing much the same thing...only I need to work the suspension first to make the thing safe lol, then a mix of paint/body and bringing in the power. If I can at all help you with yours man, just ask!

Cris

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Cool. the thing I like about the Miatas, they dont take up a lot of room, they tilt and slide so the kids moneying through the roll bar is not so bad, the stock Miata seats also have duel locks on the slides, far better than most locks - dual slider locks are NHRA reqmt too. Hope you like me, a little heavier than the race buckets, but I can stand riding in my buds car with the race buckets. Also the CALTRAC mono's are a wee bit stiffer, so the ride is nice with decent seats.
I didn't mind the race buckets, other than the horrible slant they sit at. That and the fact that like you said, getting the kids in the back seat was a chore. Mine youngest are 2.5 and 3.5 years old lol...so it's carseats still. No fun at all. Once the roll cage goes in (soon I think), it would have just got worse...so I bit the bullet and did it. I wish mine were as nice as yours lol, even before you redid them. Here's a couple pics:

I'll probably have them recovered in black cloth to match the rest of the interior...but for now, seat covers it is lol =D. And also, yeah...those are speakers in the freakin headrests!

Anyhow, thanks again for the idea lol! I'll go ahead and weigh them once they get here and let you guys know the exact weight as compared to the race buckets. Guess for a daily driven street car I'm simply going to have to give up a few things in the name of comfort!!

Cris

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Speakers - jeez, thats money! Let me know what they weigh. Covering mine was not cheap, but I am going for somewhat a stock classic look on the inside.
The deluxe seats maybe a bit heavier, but it you skin the leather and speakers, should be the same. Check out my tech article on installing them. Maybe a better way, but I kicked around a lot of brackets and other stuff, but I didnt want to drill my new floor pans, and I wanted to keep the Miata slides to keep the seats as low as possible. Its in the Tech Interior section, New Twist on an old subject.

Ask away for questions. Chris
I didn't mind the race buckets, other than the horrible slant they sit at. That and the fact that like you said, getting the kids in the back seat was a chore. Mine youngest are 2.5 and 3.5 years old lol...so it's carseats still. No fun at all. Once the roll cage goes in (soon I think), it would have just got worse...so I bit the bullet and did it. I wish mine were as nice as yours lol, even before you redid them. Here's a couple pics:

I'll probably have them recovered in black cloth to match the rest of the interior...but for now, seat covers it is lol =D. And also, yeah...those are speakers in the freakin headrests!

Anyhow, thanks again for the idea lol! I'll go ahead and weigh them once they get here and let you guys know the exact weight as compared to the race buckets. Guess for a daily driven street car I'm simply going to have to give up a few things in the name of comfort!!

Cris

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey folks, been a busy and crazy spring and summer. Since March I have been working on retiring from active duty, and starting a new job as a civil servant, thats working pretty darn good now, an offer I couldn’t refuse.
I can not remember when I started pulling the Mustang apart to begin the final phase, I think I pulled the engine in late October.
The car had been in a couple of minor fender benders and had some nice battery corrosion along with the many holes drilled to mount this and that. I wanted to get all this looking good and replace the cut and bent metal.
I had the frame checked (it was dead on), then I had the engine bay and fender aprons soda blasted, then I removed the front aprons, radiator support, and suspension. Once it was all cleaned and old metal removed, I replaced both front inner aprons, and the radiator support.
I also decided to go with the big block so while I had it down, I stitch welded all the seams and braces in the front end, and notched the shock towers to boot.
The shock towers were a given, regardless of the power plant, having wresteled with the extra 1.5 of deck rise and subsequent pain in the ***s tight spaces up there with headers and clutches on the 351W, I would do this regardless. I gained me nearly 4 inches in extra clearance while keeping the stock suspension and not having to pay two grand for a MII front end.
Here is some of the work I have done, tech articles are in the que and coming if you have questions about what or how. Or you can just post/PM me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Looks like you're making some good progress.
Nice,clean job on the shock towers,and he satin black in the engine bay is a big improvement IMO.

·
Subscriber
888 Posts
Looking good Gydyup! That makes me want to pull my engine to replace the aprons and notch the shock towers!
What's next on the project list, paint?

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Thanks gang, in case you wondering, I decided to do the shock towers after I got it all put back together and painted. This was decison time, as I was on the fence with the big block. But like I said, my decision to go for it was based on more room regardless of the block size, but I am set on the BBF now. Next in line is popping the cowl and fixing the waterfall! Then door skins, rocker dent has to go, still toying with putting a Shelby decklid and quarter caps on (what do you guys think), then sanding and prepping the body. After that, wire harness, and start putting it back together with the big block, toploader combo.
BillyWATSON not Martin sorry, the panels are 1/8". I have a tech art in the hopper so I wont stretch this out if you can hold up for a week?

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks, no Eastwood special coatings here - this is just plain old Rustoluem Satin black - I love this stuff. Goes on in a rattle can but doesnt look like a rattle job. I do use one of those gun holder things, works really well.
Looks like you're making some good progress.
Nice,clean job on the shock towers,and he satin black in the engine bay is a big improvement IMO.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Nice job!..The extra clearance after the shock tower notching should be a really nice bonus..The shock tower notch would make an excellent tech article. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks, putting Hooker big tubes on the 351 block with the blow proof bell was a PITA. This should make anything much more fun.
I researched a lot trying to find the info on the notch job, lots of individual data points, but never a one stop shop how to do it, so I wrote it.
I guess there is some changes going on with the forum, so I cant get it posted for a week or so? I still use photo bucket to download and file my pics, anything better or easier out there?
Nice job!..The extra clearance after the shock tower notching should be a really nice bonus..The shock tower notch would make an excellent tech article. ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey quite a lot of good work you've done there. Just checking in since I'm also in Chesapeake. I'll be looking for you on the streets to admire the finished product.

I put in my crankshaft, pistons and cam today, but came up short on a couple connecting rod nuts. Mine will hopefully be on the street in the near future. It's been sidelined by life for a while.

21 - 40 of 283 Posts