Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at little new at this, and I'm not quite sure where to look. I have a 67 mustang I'm trying to restore and I don't know much about cars, not enough to do a complete restoration anyways. I have a 289 out of a 65 mustang that I'm putting into a 67 that was originally a manual inline 6. I don't know what parts I need for the engine, as all I have really is the engine itself. I don't know all the other things that go with it other than altinator, and water pump. I've been searching online and I can't find a website that has diagrams that show what is supposed to be there and how it is supposed to be installed. I'm unsure really of what to ask as well. I'm having someone build a new transmission for it, a 4 speed like the original. I don't know how the clutch, tranny, and engine all go together, and diagrams would make it much easier for me. i. Hate to repost something that people have already answered but I have been unable to find the answers to the questions I have. Any websites with diagrams would be a great help. Any advice that could be given would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Welcome Kyle,

I've owned a few '67's and 68's.

One of your first investments should be a shop manual. They are always on ebay in reproduction or used or on CD too. This will show you the way the car is setup originally in many cases.

1967 COUGAR FAIRLANE FALCON MUSTANG Shop Service Repair Manual Engine Electrical | eBay

As for the swap you'll need to find the appropriate V8 engine mounts but also if your '67 has 4 lug brakes you should consider finding 5 bolt front suspension and a 5 bolt ( 8 inch) rear axle from a V8 car. Also you'll need to upgrade the springs shocks and sway bars. If the car is in need of lots of work these may need to be replaced anyway and possible upgrade to front disks.

Lots of fun ahead! Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, I will look into that.

And with the swap, from what I was told by the previous owner, the whole rear end, axle and everything has been redone and is ready for a v8, I don't recall what the gear ratio is though. I did not buy the car with the i6 or anything but the flywheel and the bell housing from the i6. it has the drive shaft that goes with the v8. And as for the engine mounts, I have the right ones I think, from what I could find on the internet. The holes match up, but all I need is the bolts. The engine was rebuilt not too long ago. The rest of the car seems to be in good shape, not much rust, new front quater panels, new floor boards, etc. The engine compartment has no rust, and has a few engine parts that I don't know the name of, as well as some cut wires. I'm not sure if I need to redo all the wiring (probably should just to be safe). The front end will probably need new shocks, I don't recall if the front end was redone or not.
Thanks for the info, anything I can learn about the car and the restoration process are very helpful.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Well get the manual as the wiring diagrams are in the back. These cars are actually quite simple electrically but there are a few upgrades worth doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine I have is a rebuilt 289 v8. Can anyone tell me the best, yet cheapest performance upgrade I can use? I'm not sure what I'm asking exactly, I know about a few companies, but I'm new to anything dealing with cars that goes beyond pumping gas and replacing disc brakes, so any help is great! Ask me questions that could turn helpful and ill answer with what I know. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
would you happen to know if there is much of a difference between the cd and the book?
The CD is round flat and plastic and goes in your computer. The book is squarish thick and paper and you flip through it!;)

The CD is just all the pages scanned as files. The nice thing about the CD is you can print the pages you need and take them to the garage and get them greasy while you do the job not the book itself. Then just toss the greasy pages ( well, recycle them okay!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, it was sort of a stupid question really, i was thinking when i posted that it would be more of a video, than a file of documents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts