Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to MPG today about my headers hitting the pitman arm. He has said all along, must be my car!:frown:

He said he jigged the two tubes that are being hit by the pitman and tie rods, and said they jigged just fine. His next step is trying to install the tubes on his car. Sounds like a good plan.

I did check the cast number on the pitman arm, its a 67 Mustang manual pitman arm.
Are there any differences in steering boxes or thier locations from the begining of a run to end of run for that year - that would make the pitman higher or lower than a later or ealier 67? I am pretty sure mine is the 1 1/8th shaft. I checked, but have forgotten.

I had a concource guy look at it, and said it was the correct box in the correct location for a 67. Mine was a six banger/C4 version that was converted with spindles etc. Not sure if the gear box needed or was changed though for the V8 conversion.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If your box has the soild steering shaft up to the steering wheel then that would be the right box for a 67. Early 67 could have used the 65-66 ptiman arm.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, its the solid shaft, and I did look at the 66 early pitmans. Mines casted as a 67, and matches. Just wondering about the boxes them selves, all the same?
If your box has the soild steering shaft up to the steering wheel then that would be the right box for a 67. Early 67 could have used the 65-66 ptiman arm.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Sounds like you have the Mustang box. If the box still has the tag on it you can confirm that. Do you have the pitman arm in the correct postion on the box?

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not taken the Pitman arm off the shaft, so it is unchanged. I counted steering wheel turns, four and some change, centered the steering wheel, two turns. the Drag link link pretty much lined up with that. Also counted turns on both ends of Tie Rods when I replaced them, and put them back in as such. So it should be pretty close to where I had it when I last drove it, had the frame and front end checked.

MPG is saying my gear box must be different, or in a different location, only reason I give that any thought, the car was a six/C4 but so far all that stuff appears the same, only dif being shaft size from initial run to later runs. Even if off a turn or so, I should get more than one turn before the arm hits a header tube dead center of the tube.

Sounds like you have the Mustang box. If the box still has the tag on it you can confirm that. Do you have the pitman arm in the correct postion on the box?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If the box was some how in a different place there would be holes in the frame where it was bolted? The Mustang boxes are a beast all their own. What exactly did you buy from MPG? Take some pictures so we can see everything.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I went to MPG site did you buy the motor mount header kit for a 385 series into the 67-70 Mustang? The back of the engine would need to be at the correct height for this work. Looks like engine mounts and brackets bolt into the existing holes.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MPG HEADER
Here are some pics of the MPG header install, kit is for a 385 series into 67 68 Mustang. All fits really well, except clearance issues on driver side tie rods and pitman arm.
Pitman arm header clearance

Clearance with wheels in straight position.

Tier Rod on 6 tube.

Overall, its great stuff, just having problems with two tubes on driver side.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, your pitman connection to the drag link is darn near under the frame, maybe onto something here.

With nothing hooked up, is counting turns the best way to set pitman arm? Then go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Just remove the arm from the box. Count total turns lock to lock. Half that and center, reinstall the arm like mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.