Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone please tell me what is the widest and tallest tire i can fit under my stock 67 mustang rear. And also what offset rim to use if known. Im pretty sure that 4.5" backspacing is pretty standard but only pretty sure..... Thanx alot

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
not sure about 16", but for a 15x7 cragar wheel, which i think is 4.5" bs, 245x60R15 is the biggest with stock axle length.

Of course there are all kinds of variables... how low you have rear of the car, axle housing width, etc.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im thinking in terms of a drag slick. On the project 11.99 car a 26x10x15 was used if im not mistaken. Was that the biggest tire that could be stuffed into the wheels tubs what about a taller tire like a 27? Thanx alot

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have 28x9 m/t slicks on my 65 , I have standard hight 5leaf spring and it doesnt scrub, done some measuring and found that
with street tire maximum would be 10.5 section width . I am going to run 255/60-15 tires and no problem with my set up

lowside

·
Registered
521 Posts
I run 275/60/15 bfg drag radials on my 68 (same car) with a 15x8 rim and 4.5" backspace.I have stock height 5 leaf springs and a stock length 9".Not sure about drag slick sizes though.I usually see 28x9's on these cars at the strip.
BOB

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi, i have a 68 mustang and i run a 255-60-15 radial street tire. I work at discount tire and i also would like to know what size slick people are using on their 67 68 mustangs. I would think a 15x8 with 4.5 bs and 275 60 15's would fit but be close and 26x10 also close?

But right now im stuck with the 255-60-15 as i have no money for tires.
New 347 stroker sucks it all up!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I am running 15X8 welds on my 68 with 5.5 backspacing..I did not like the "normal" 4.5 backspacing that everyone recommends..I have the chrome wheel well trim and I am sure it would have caught the sidewalls with the 4.5 inch backspacing..

·
Registered
302 Posts
frdnut, what tire do you run? Did you mod the front inner whell house? I use a 5.5bs on my sn95 8.8 which is about 3/4" wider per side. When I buy axles I will make it stock 67-68 length. My 275/50 M/T DR's touch occassionally on the outer wheel house on a big dip when loaded down going to the strip. I will have to mod the front inner wheel house when I shorten the rearend to stock length.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
frdnut, what tire do you run? Did you mod the front inner whell house? I use a 5.5bs on my sn95 8.8 which is about 3/4" wider per side. When I buy axles I will make it stock 67-68 length. My 275/50 M/T DR's touch occassionally on the outer wheel house on a big dip when loaded down going to the strip. I will have to mod the front inner wheel house when I shorten the rearend to stock length.
I am running a G-60-15 McCreary..It's a fairly small tire compared to what you are running and I have no clearance issues anywhere..The only thing I had to do was trim the rubber snubber thingy on the side of the rear frame rail....The 67s have this in a different spot and it won't be an issue...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I don't know about the mustangs, but my 69 falcon would swallow up a set of 10 inch rims with 12 inch tires, and still fit under the wheel wells. (ultra rims and bfgoodrich radials).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts