Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 67 Mustang has power steering and is very easy to turn, maybe too easy. Is there an adjustment to say dampen the movement? or should I add a dampener to the linkage? Other info is I have a Granada spindle and brake set-up.
Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The factory power steering is way over assisted and has little to no feel. I prefer to do away with it, plus you save weight, money, wet spots on the driveway and a ton of aggravation. Oh, and to answer your question, there's no adjustment that I know of.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've heard tell of people installing a "bleed" valve from the pressure line to the return line to reduce the line pressure. Can't tell you how well it works though. I hate the power assist on early Ford cars. I agree with carsnguitars but I do like power steering just not over assisted. A fast ratio power rack is what I'd prefer. Stu

·
Registered
431 Posts
67 GT 350s had a very large PS, I think about 7.5" dia, pully to keep from over-reving the pump. A nice side affect was it decreased the power assist. Finding a pully for a 67 GT 350 is next to impossible. You may be able to find something simular.

Larry

·
Registered
22 Posts
There was an anticle in Mustang Illistrated a few years back where they put a needle valve in the pressure line and it fed the extra pressure back through the return line. To dial in the pressure you just turned the valve till it was where you liked it. I know I saved the article, I will see if I can dig it up.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Changing your caster to +4 will help some. This will make the car harder to turn and keep on wanting to track straight. Factory specification went out the window when steel belted tires hit the market along with new thread design compared to old technology of the 60’s.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is that the reason my car tries to wonder when driving on grooved roads? If so, how do I get rid of it.

On my '70 Mach, I have a set of 245/45/17 on the front and 275/40/17 out back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts