Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help. My radiator is constantly blowing up on me. The radiator starts fine but after it warms up it starts to leak out overflow tube. It starts as a constant drip then turns into a stream, then out comes the genie and the water starts flowin like niagra falls. It's pissing me off because if it weren't for this it runs fine. Any takers???

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Is is possible your thermostat is sticking? Do you have a temp gauge, if so what is it running? Is it actually boiling or just from expansion.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Possible causes, clogged radiator, weak radiator cap, bad thermostat. Another possibilty is a blown head gasket. Combustion pressure can leak into cooling system and build pressure quite rapidly before the engine builds up a lot of heat. A cracked cylinder head can act the same way. Another possibilty but not very likely is that the impeller has come loose from the water pump shaft.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
If it's not overheating I'd suspect a bad rad cap. Stu

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've put on a new radiator cap and it has the same problem. I do know that it has a small leak in one of the corners. In the next couple of days I am going to check the thermostat. I did put a new one in about 4 months ago, but the thermostat was under the seat when I bought the car and it was brand new. Otherwise I'll check some of the things you guys mentioned. Thanks.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I wouldn't even risk it. yank that sucker spend the $135 for a new radiator and get a new 180 degree thermostat . all new hose and clamps. It'll cost you way more if you melt your heads down.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: norcal500 on 10/9/06 1:56pm ]</font>

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just tried Radiator Barn for a rad for my '65.
They said they don't stock it and their suppliers no longer carry it.

RR

·
Registered
825 Posts
try a later year with similar dimensions and design. I think I used a 66 mustang for my 65 fairlane. had to notch the metal at the bottom of the radiator mounting plate to make it fit right so the fan don't hit the tubes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
have you drains the oil and checked it for any signs of water/antifreeze... and have you noticed and white/yellow foam in the radiator?

both or either would indicate

a possible blown head gasket.. easy fix just time consuming...
a cracked area in the head or motor.. not so easy..

when i assembled the 351w i put in my truck .. i missed full torquein of a head bolt and blew head gasket did a very similar thing... and had water/oil mixed in the rad and engine

good luck hope ya get the info ya need

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't seen any foam and i haven't checked the oil. I'll save checking the heads for last. I'm gonna rebuild my engine this winter. (it is a 390). I'm gonna check it tonight and i'll let you guys know what goes down.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
There is a gadjet which attaches to the radiator cap and sniffs for combustion gasses. I got one at Super Shops sell out for $5. Have tested autos and locomotives with it. Has a very dark green liquid, which if gasses are present will turn yellow. Many radiator shops around here have such. Takes all of about ten minutes to use. Then tells you if radiator/thermostat was at fault, or if you then need to begin head surgery.

Wm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The verdict is a blown head gasket. There is a ton of foam in the radiator, and there is a lot of water in the oil. This is ok because i'm gonna rebuild the engine this winter anyway. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
That radiator checking fluid may have detected it earlier. But sad to hear just the same.

I was having troubles starting up a 427 powered boat. Removed spark plugs and friend began looking down the holes one at a time looking for moisture. Then he asked I crank it over some. Yep, it shot him in the eye, first hole that he tried looking down. That was where the blown gasket was at.

Wm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts