Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 ranchero project I am considering a restomod. I had the idea of swaping the majority of whats underneath with a newer car, to get luxuries like power steering, power brakes ect. The thought was that this would be more cost bennifical than using the after market conversions. so my question is does this idea make sense and if so any suggestions as to what car to use?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Since your Ranchero is a unibody car, the swap you propose would be problematic. About 2004, there was a build on TV where a bunch of really savvy professional guys we're in the process of grafting an early Mustang fastback body to an 04 Mustang GT floorpan and undercarriage. It was incredibly complicated, and I don't think they ever finished the project. About half-way through the build, the 05 Mustang came out with it's retro-styled body, which pretty much eliminated the need for an old car with new underpinnings. Unless you have exceptional fabrication skills, I'd recommend you stick with known, workable solutions, like a Heihts (sic) front end and rack and pinion, maybe with a 4-link kit in the back. Even these mods are not for the beginner.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts