Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for thoughts on a 67 XL 500 Z code that may not have the original motor. Im interested in buying it but have noticed in pictures that it has a two barrel carb on it. As I understand the Z code is a 4V. The air cleaner is labeled 390. Would the proper air cleaner for that year be labeled with 390 4V? Where do I find the engine stamp for that motor? Will that stamp decode which 390 it is if it even is a 390? What are the chances that the carb was changed out with the manifold?
If indeed it is the wrong motor how much impact would it have on a otherwise very nicely restored car?
Thank you!

·
Subscriber
501 Posts
I'll take a swing...

the Z-code should be a 4v.
the proper air cleaner would probably say "390 4V". But air cleaners can be changed easier than underwear. The 300 inline-six in my pickup has one that says "360 2V" :)

Unless that's a 2-barrel carb sitting on top of a 4-barrel intake manifold (which would be super-weird), that's not a Z-code engine, or even a 4-barrel at all.
There's no stamps on the FE engine series that will identify much of anything, so those won't help.

post a couple of pics?

As for how it would affect the pricing...if its not the 390, the price certainly comes down. No way to say how much until you know what it is.
Heck it could be the 2-barrel 360 out of a truck, which would be a lot less desireable.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have two '67 Rancheros. One is a C code converted to 390 suspension and 9" powered by a 408W. The other is an H code 390 2bbl that will be getting the 289 and C4 from #1. I am leaving the 9" rear in with a 3.50 axle ratio. These trucks are SO popular ( especially in rust free California condition) that I don't think the "correct" engine makes a difference resale wise. You could certainly dump allot of money doing an NOS parts restoration but would IMHO , never recover costs involved.
Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts