Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my gauge cluster out in my 67 to replace the bulbs with l.e.d's and repaint the faded needles. Well it was kind of tight so I undid the two bolts and dropped the steering column down and long story short after I got everything done and put back in the dash I threw a battery in and started it (in what appeared/felt like neutral) I felt it lurching forward, and the shift linkage feels way more sloppy than before I dropped the column....there's a fine line between park and reverse, trans stays in reverse when it feels like park and the neutral safety switch thinks its in park and lurches backward.....its a 289/c4 column shift. Sorry for the long post just want to give every detail. Where should I start and how do I go about fixing/adjusting this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
262 Posts
what does it do if you try to start it in neutral? Maybe the linkage slipped where it bolt to the linkage under the hood? if it did slip there, there would be a clean spot where it had been.
Need to look at mine?
Agreed. it is a tight fight to get that cluster out, especially putting the speedo cable back on, but not impossible.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I never had a problem with it before untill this time, the thing was a pita to get out, I every other time I was able to tip it forward to install/remove the speedo cable but this time I had to blindly get it under the dash, but everything works. I'll try checking that out later on today and see how it goes and when its in neutral (on the indicator) it will start but once in a while it will be in drive and start to lurch forward (luckily my parking brake was on the first time I started it LOL) but it even feels like neutral when you shift it down to it but it still feels sloppy like there is something loose in there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts