Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor car became dangerous to drive recently. Took her in and tech says left spindle is bent. When I search for it I find plenty of info for disc conversion, but no replacement help. Not looking to do the upgrade yet, can someone please point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You must be new to 67s!!! This year is a one off model and you will find that ebay and the parts yard are your best and only friend. Even though many years suspension parts will interchange with the 67 there are not that many sources if any for new spindles. Someone else will probably know better than me, because when I need a part like a spindle I just go to the parts yard and look for a 65-67 and pull the part.

Good luck and welcome to the 67 year model Galaxie.

·
Registered
219 Posts
wow, I've never known anyone to bend a spindle? I've heard of bent rims, warped rotors/drums, wore out front end bushings, etc, but never bent spindle? It "recently" became dangerous to drive, as if a spindle bent itself without an incident (that would be memorable)?? Have you loaned your car out, has it been out of your hands for another driver? You sure he didn't mean a wheel bearing had overheated and welded itself to your spindle? Don is right, I have 67 also, and you have to pay through the nose for anything 67, because the parts just aren't there (compared to other years). I'm not being a smart aleck, I'm just not sure someone accurately diagnosed what's wrong?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, I've never known anyone to bend a spindle? I've heard oPpf bent rims, warped rotors/drums, wore out front end bushings, etc, but never bent spindle? It "recently" became dangerous to drive, as if a spindle bent itself without an incident (that would be memorable)?? Have you loaned your car out, has it been out of your hands for another driver? You sure he didn't mean a wheel bearing had overheated and welded itself to your spindle? Don is right, I have 67 also, and you have to pay through the nose for anything 67, because the parts just aren't there (compared to other years). I'm not being a smart aleck, I'm just not sure someone accurately diagnosed what's wrong?
I'm glad you brought the "memorable" part up because I was a little puzzled. I'm the only driver of this car and with pure confidence can tell you I've hit nothing hard enough to think I bent a spindle. Potholes are very common here in Oklahoma, but I figure the force needed for this would be very noticeable.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i'd be curious to know how the mechanic identified a bent spindle.

I'd bent an axle housing before. I've sheared the ears off a knuckle ( offroading). But i've never seen a bent spindle.

·
Registered
718 Posts
bending a spindle is difficult. its usually the result of hitting a tall curb at high speed. dammage to the front strut rod mount and possibly sherring the 2 strut rod bolts to the lca would result along with a blode out tire and tore up rim. "however" , it is possible and i'v seen it done , to bend the steering arm when beating the hell out of the tie rod because its frozen in the spindle. i saw a guy beat a pitman arm off a box at pick-your-nose and he bent it good. according to my holanders full size 65-68 drum brake spindles are the same.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went ahead and bought the one danv linked. I'm going to start with this and a few bushings that need replacing then see where I'm at. Thanks for the info everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts