Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a 67 mustang coupe with great body for really cheap. however, cranks but wont start, primed the carb and im getting spark. decided to check compression and...

cylinder 1: 90psi
cylinder 2: 80psi
cylinder 3: 0psi
cylinder 4: 120psi
cylinder 5: 0psi
cylinder 6: didnt bother checking

does a head gasket seem like a probable cause, or could it be something else? would I be better off troubleshooting or should I just get one from a wrecker?

Thank you for all the help you guys have given me!
-Tony

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
You probably have a few burned exh valves just like pedal said. I used to have a six with same prob. replaced the exh valves and had hardened seats put in and it ran smooth and great afterwards!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im located in roseville, california. today i poured a little marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and cranked it a little. did nothing for compression so hopefully the problem is in the head. i dont wanna pull it off until I have the money to get it redone so it doesn't get dirty. When I do pull it off what am I going to be looking for? Never really messed with engine internals before so is there going to be anything very obvious? Thank you for all your quick replies!

-Tony

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
HI TONY
when you pull the valve cover off roll the motor over and watch the rockers just to make sure its not a rocker or something. Look for broken springs on the valves and such. especualy 3 and 5. once the head is off look at the valves you well probuly see a hole burnt into the 3 and 5 valves with 0 compression it should be obvious but may not.. OH check the top of the pistons as well for holes or broken rings.
tim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: pedal2themetal45 on 4/7/06 11:10pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Is the engine running, at all?

I find it hard to understand 2 cylinders showing 0, zero compression and the engine still running. Essentially,with zero compression on those two, you have a 4-cyl engine. I would expect the engine to shudder, pop, shake and have all manner of crap spitting out of the tail pipe.

If the valve head was there at all, I would expect some compression...at least 20, 30 lbs...something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts