Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question for my 67 4 door.

I bought 2 of these at the same time from different sellers. One of them (Nightmist Blue) with 73K miles and a really nice interior, was going to be my driver. The other one (Black) was complete and solid but the interior is shot, was initially going to be my parts department. I knew there were rust issues under the vinyl top on the blue car, just didn't know how bad. The seller wasn't too keen on letting me cut the vinyl off before I paid for it. Surprise.

After I pulled the interior and carpets from both cars and pulled the vinyl tops, my initial plans hit a wall.
The top on the blue car is really BAD. Several holes and a lot of thin metal. Looks like rusty swiss cheese. Amazingly, the floors are almost rust free, but there are signs of surface rust under the dash, etc. (I put the emergency brake on in my driveway and could not get it to release, no how, no way. I had to remove the whole assembly and drill out a pin to release the brakes. Rusty mechanism.)
On the black car the top is in very good condition with only a little easily repairable surface rust. The floors are in good condition except at the passenger side front where it looks like the heater coil has been leaking for some time. Thin metal and a few small holes.
This car is the same one I posted about previously about not being able to turn it off. Still working on that problem.

Has anyone ever attempted to repair a top in this condition? Is it worth it? Is it do-able? Again, is it worth it?
Should I change my initial plans and make the black car my driver and use the blue one as a donor/parts department?
It's been suggested to cut the tops off and swap them, but I think that's way more work, money, etc. than I want to do.

Should I just continue to look for a solid, ready to drive car? I want to stay with the 4 doors. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I do. Their different.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Another question for my 67 4 door.

I bought 2 of these at the same time from different sellers. One of them (Nightmist Blue) with 73K miles and a really nice interior, was going to be my driver. The other one (Black) was complete and solid but the interior is shot, was initially going to be my parts department. I knew there were rust issues under the vinyl top on the blue car, just didn't know how bad. The seller wasn't too keen on letting me cut the vinyl off before I paid for it. Surprise.

After I pulled the interior and carpets from both cars and pulled the vinyl tops, my initial plans hit a wall.
The top on the blue car is really BAD. Several holes and a lot of thin metal. Looks like rusty swiss cheese. Amazingly, the floors are almost rust free, but there are signs of surface rust under the dash, etc. (I put the emergency brake on in my driveway and could not get it to release, no how, no way. I had to remove the whole assembly and drill out a pin to release the brakes. Rusty mechanism.)
On the black car the top is in very good condition with only a little easily repairable surface rust. The floors are in good condition except at the passenger side front where it looks like the heater coil has been leaking for some time. Thin metal and a few small holes.
This car is the same one I posted about previously about not being able to turn it off. Still working on that problem.

Has anyone ever attempted to repair a top in this condition? Is it worth it? Is it do-able? Again, is it worth it?
Should I change my initial plans and make the black car my driver and use the blue one as a donor/parts department?
It's been suggested to cut the tops off and swap them, but I think that's way more work, money, etc. than I want to do.

Should I just continue to look for a solid, ready to drive car? I want to stay with the 4 doors. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I do. Their different.

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Al
'way more money" ... that wraps it up .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.