Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 67 S-code convertible VIN 7T03S25928. The apron tag, door tag and stamp all match as far as the warranty number. The door tag shows a different color code (white instead of yellow). The Marti report says it is an S-code 390 with 3 speed standard tranny and doesn't say anything about having the GT package. I bought it in 1990 as a GTA and it is badged and equipped with C6 automatic tranny as a GTA.
Is there a possibility the car was changed on the assembly line to a GTA and not noted anywhere? It was in pretty bad shape when I bought it and I can't find any nook or cranny with yellow paint on it and it has the large brake pedal and no physical indication it ever had a clutch. If it was modified it had to be when it was new or nearly new.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you provided Marti with the proper information you can be 99% sure what he gave you is correct for the car...sound like it is a GTA clone

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should be happy. It was one of only 106 built with 390 engine / 3 speed standard trans package. And it is an S-code with heavy duty suspension, a/c, power disc brakes, and deluxe interior. I feel better already.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Don't count on the Marti report being 100%. It's a lazy man's path.

Look at the facts as you have them in front of you, then look at common practice..

Is Brake Quadrant setup under the dash appearing to be all original?

Is there a HOLE in the Firewall above the carpet in the firewall padding to the left of the steering column for what would have been a clutch pushrod?

Have you EVER IN YOUR LIFE known someone that would take a 390 3 speed car and flip it into a 390 auto car and clone a GTA, and bother to remove the clutch pedal from the quadrant and make it look like there never was one there?

What are the numbers on your Door Tag? Let's have the break down here. I am curious.

A 3 speed FE 67 Stang would be worth loads more than a GTA, because the GTA is more common than the 3 speed 390 car in my experience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your positive input FE. I'm not looking for numbers. I'm looking to see if the car is worth anything and you are helping. The door tag matches the fender tag except for the Paint, Date, and Transmission. The door tag is body 76B, color M (tag on fender is 8), trim 6A, date 14S (fender tag or Marti is 27E), DSO 55, Axle 1, Trans U (Marti says 1). The door tag could have been modified or replaced. Unfortunately I don't have any information on the car prior to 1990. My bad. When I bought it I thought I was pretty thorough checking it out but I guess I wasn't thorough enough.
There does appear to be a hole where the clutch rod went through the firewall. I haven't put it on a rack to see if the clutch equalizer brackets are there. I've had a number of old mustangs so I know what you are talking about.
One question. Wouldn't all 67 Mustangs have the clutch rod hole with a rubber plug when automatics were installed?
Thanks again for your input.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Hold on Bro.

Door Tag and Fender IMPRESSION VIN # should be 100 PERCENT Identical BAR NONE! PERIOD.

The FIRST thing on your door tag should be THIS--->7T03S25928 If that is NOT what you see, PLEASE tell me the VIN# on the door tag.

Now to answer your clutch pushrod Q, there might be a sheet metal punch out spot there. But if it's a HOLE, a factory style hole in the firewall insulation that's been punched out, and also a hole in the sheet metal, then it's pretty likely that this car started life as a std tranny car.

Now do tell me that the door data plate vin matches the vin on the inner fender.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I have 67 S-code convertible VIN 7T03S25928. The apron tag, door tag and stamp all match as far as the warranty number. The door tag shows a different color code (white instead of yellow). The Marti report says it is an S-code 390 with 3 speed standard tranny and doesn't say anything about having the GT package. I bought it in 1990 as a GTA and it is badged and equipped with C6 automatic tranny as a GTA.

Is there a possibility the car was changed on the assembly line to a GTA and not noted anywhere?
Not likely the car was assembled other than according to the recorded code(s). Any deviation(s) would have been recorded on the SPEC/BUILD SHEET.

Door Tag and Fender IMPRESSION VIN # should be 100 PERCENT Identical BAR NONE! PERIOD.

The FIRST thing on your door tag should be THIS--->7T03S25928 If that is NOT what you see, PLEASE tell me the VIN# on the door tag.
Someone has had the VIN Plate modified to hide or show something (LOT EASIER THAN MODIFYING THE BUCK TAG).

7T03S- (First Five Characters of VIN)

7= 1967 Model Year
T= Metuchen Asm Plant
03= (This is the Series Code and is not correct)
S= 66/69 390 4V (and/or 1967 390 4V GT)

You need the correct Series Code along with the BODY CODE (76B) to ascertain the body and interior trim levels).

VIN (Warranty-Patent) Plate HAS to match the Body Buck Tag, PERIOD!

Recheck your third and fourth VIN characters for accuracy.

In addition, TRANS U is a C6 (Select Shift) and 1 is a 2.77 3/S. A V8 car would have been assembled with the 3.03 3/S.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sorry about the confusion. The VIN is identical in all three places - door,stamp, and tag. The tag screwed on the fender apron is the only place I've seen that shows a discrepancy with door tag and that is the paint and date. The date on the tag (27E) matches Marti. The paint (8) also matches the Marti report. The door plate is M for color and 14S for date which doesn't compute with the decoder. I assume the door tag is not correct.
There is a hole in the firewall so I also assume it was a 3 speed car.
There are several numbers on the fender tag that I can't figure out. I believe it to be accurate and original. Is there anything that can be deciphered from that that wouldn't be in the Marti report?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Can you post a high clarity digital photo of both plates?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...sheesh...

CRS is getting much worse. Where did I get the idea you were describing a FAIRLANE instead of a MUSTANG?

...purple pill... need to remember...

I'll be back in a minute.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
There's something wrong with the Series Code (03) in the VIN. It doesn't jive with the Body Code (76B).

I will get back soon hopefully. I was thinking of another thread when I was reading yours.

I am now reclining with an ice pack (and cold BUD) and will become functional again in a few minutes...

·
Registered
688 Posts
There's something wrong with the Series Code (03) in the VIN. It doesn't jive with the Body Code (76B).

I will get back soon hopefully. I was thinking of another thread when I was reading yours.

I am now reclining with an ice pack (and cold BUD) and will become functional again in a few minutes...
I think both are convertable codes?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't strain anything guys. You have given me good info. The VIN is good and the Marti report is accurate. As far as I can tell the door plate is wrong and the car is not a GTA because according to Marti it came with a 3 speed standard transmission. I am ok with that because it has factory A/C, 390 engine, HD suspension, power disc brakes, and deluxe interior. That has to make it worth something. Maybe less than a GTA but not enough to hurt too much.
Thanks again to all!

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
OK, First off that Inner fender tag held on with a screw is absolutely worthless as an id tag. It is there only to additionally identify the Air Conditioning that was added to the car.

Your vin is STAMPED into the lip under the hood near the fender cutout right about the 2nd or 3rd bolt back from the drivers headlight.

What is THAT number? IGNORE the screwed on plate that should not be there.

The VIN is on BOTH fender aprons, the passenger and Drivers, and in the drivers in TWO locations one visible with fender ON and one only visible with fender off, it is adjacent to the hood hinge on both inner fenders.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I think both are convertable codes?
Yes...

76B equates to 76 (Conv) B (Trim Level)

My MPC (Master Parts Catalog) is giving me-

Series Code 03 shows (MPC may be incorrect) 1967 MUST 76A or 68/69 MUST Luxury Trim.

It does have the S-CODE 390 GT (I believe the HP rating was 335 Correction: 320HP) (should be an raised cast S on the iron intake manifold with a 4V HOLLEY and unique PCV System.

I will have to find the options list but I would imagine a GT trim could come through with a 3.03 3/S (as these were popular) and the F/4/S was a more expensive option. I believe the VIN plate Date Code (14S) is also correct as a Date Code of E27 (wrong sequence) would be 27 APR 1967. Production would have not started until SEP 67.

CORRECTION- FE's date code reading (below) is correct. I flubbed.

The Buck Tag can be confusing as the code(s) shown usually match the Build Sheet and are different from those on the VIN Plate.

I think (so far) that it is a 1967 GTA S-CODE 390 C6.

The complete answer would be to find the Build (Spec) Sheet hidden in the car.

-1967 MUSTANG OPTION LIST-

Heavy-duty 3-speed manual, required with 320hp V-8

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
OK cool.

Here is what your door tells me.

Body: Convertible, Luxury Interior, Bucket Seats
Color: Wimbledon White
[Interior] Trim: Black luxury
Date: 14 of May (2nd year)
DSO: St. Louis
Axle: 3.00:1
Trans: C-6 Automatic
VIN (Warranty Number) Breakdown:
7 = 1967
T = Metuchen, NJ
03 = Convertible
S = 390-4v
255928 = Consecutive unit number #255928

I don't know where Marti get's his 3 speed info from. I thought his 67 information was scarce...

You said this in your first post
The apron tag, door tag and stamp all match as far as the warranty number. The door tag shows a different color code (white instead of yellow). The Marti report says it is an S-code 390 with 3 speed standard tranny and doesn't say anything about having the GT package.
Does the report say the car was yellow also?

Is there ANY yellow on the car anywhere at all? Under the dash in the inner fenders of the trunk, under the top boot? Anywhere? Under a scratch maybe? Does Marti say it's supposed to be Yellow originally?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts