Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a while for a factory built 67 Galaxie XL with a 4-speed transmission. I finally found one in Virginia and got it yesterday. It has a hi-po 390 c.i. engine, 3:25 rear end, manual steering and brakes, and factory A/C. It has to be restored but it will be worth it. It's currently painted black but I'm going to restore it back to it's original red with black interior. Looks like Dearborn Classics will have most of what I need and guess I'll start hunting for the rest, starting at Charlotte next weekend. I'll probably be asking for advice along the way and will appreciate the help.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Sounds awsome!!!

We need more 4-speeds around here

It sounds like you have most of the "unique" stuff, the rest of the stuff should be relatively easy to come by. If I can be of any help, just let me know.

Jim

1967 Galaxie 500 XL 390/4-speed
Toploader + Hurst = The ONLY shiftkit!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 673904spd on 4/1/06 9:05pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Nothing more unique than a "Big Car" with a stick! I've always had thing for the combination of Big motor, Big Car and manual... the more gears, the merrier.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim,
Sometimes when I'm coming out of reverse to go into a forward gear the stock shifter hangs up. After much wiggling, shaking, etc. it will finally go into a gear. Did you ever have that problem with your stock shifter? I'm thinking I'm going to install a Hurst shifter to see if it will eliminate the problem. Which one do you have in your car? Any help from anyone will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
822 Posts
On 2006-06-05 14:49, Chiefe9 wrote:
Jim,
Sometimes when I'm coming out of reverse to go into a forward gear the stock shifter hangs up. After much wiggling, shaking, etc. it will finally go into a gear. Did you ever have that problem with your stock shifter? I'm thinking I'm going to install a Hurst shifter to see if it will eliminate the problem. Which one do you have in your car? Any help from anyone will be much appreciated.
The factory shifter would "hang" coming out of reverse all the time. These shifters were marginal when new and got worse as they got some wear on them. Dearborn Classics has just started selling rebuilt original shifter controls (the part that bolts to the transmission) without the shifter handle and arms for $199.95. Unless you are really worried about originality, I would look into a Hurst. I have a Hurst Competition Plus in my XL now. Unfortunatly, this shifter is no longer carried by Hurst. Hurst offers a shifter for the Galaxie, but it is for non-console cars and I am not sure where that puts the handle in relation to the hole in the console. But the good news is that it is a bolted handle, which means you can remove the handle if it doesn't line up. Hurst has loads of handles in different shapes and orientations. The one I have is a welded (non-removable) handle and could actually stand to be a bit closer. I am about 6'1" and 3rd gear is a REALLY long reach!

I have thought about getting the shifter Hurst still carries (I don't have the p/n in front of me) and make a bracket to bolt the original handle to and have the feel of the Hurst, but the look of the original.

I hope that helps......

When do we get to see some pics of the new ride..?!?!?!

I posted some new ones of mine a few days ago.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask

Jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 673904spd on 6/6/06 6:57am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'd hoped Hurst would have an easy bolt in shifter but guess I'm out of luck. I'd like to keep the original one but hate the way it performs. I'm in the beginning stages of restoring the 4-speed. I'm really impressed with your car. My XL is going to be a "clone" of yours since it will be the original red with black interior. I'd like to post some "before" pictures of it as well as more pictures of my white one but don't know how. How did you post yours earlier this week? I'm taking the white one to Columbia, SC tomorrow to join the Hot Rod Power Tour for the day. It should be something to see. By the way, I'm going to attend the Ford Show in Ohio in November. I'm driving my truck in case I find "stuff" to buy. Ha!

·
Registered
822 Posts
On 2006-06-05 17:19, Chiefe9 wrote:
How did you post yours earlier this week?

Since you are a subsriber to FordMuscle, you can upload your pics to FordMuscle and then just cut and paste the address to a post in the forum. Just like your signature is at the bottom of your posts.

I'm taking the white one to Columbia, SC tomorrow to join the Hot Rod Power Tour for the day. It should be something to see.

My buddy left last week to go on the Power Tour. He is driving a green '66 Fairlane with a 351W and AOD.

By the way, I'm going to attend the Ford Show in Ohio in November. I'm driving my truck in case I find "stuff" to buy.

I always seem to be busy during the fall swap meet in Columbus, but usually try to make the spring one.

Jim

·
Registered
822 Posts
Here is the info on the Hurst shifter.....

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&langId=-1&resultsPerPage=25&pageIndex=1&searchTerm=530-391-6848

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=19019&searchItemId=36949

http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/3733167.pdf

Like I said, since it has a removable handle, you can probably just make a little angle bracket to use the stock handle and center it in the opening. I know it says 64-65 non-console, but the transmissions are the same thru 67. And the floor of the 65-68 full size cars are the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.