Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Looking to tackle a leak at the fuel pump on the 68 LTD 390. The pump is leaking at a small port (point of the pen in the first picture) and squirting out gas onto the engine block!
The leak is low pressure and stops with a finger tip over it. I'm tempted to stick a piece of cork in there to see if it seals it, I figure it'll shoot out if it fails and not get sucked into the engine...anyone have any thoughts? Besides the leak, the pump seems to work fine.
I got a new Carter fuel pump which is very similar but doesn't have this port. Someone rounded off the flare nut on the outlet line to carb so if I go the replacement route I'll get into replacing lines and dealing with power steering pump removal. If a quick fix will solve the issue, I'm all for it!
Thanks,
Austin

Font Line Writing implement Office supplies Pen
Book Publication Font Material property Newspaper

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm no fuel pump expert but that looks like some kinda weep hole to me. I'd be very worried that plugging the leak would just redirect it into your engine oil.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm no fuel pump expert but that looks like some kinda weep hole to me. I'd be very worried that plugging the leak would just redirect it into your engine oil.
+1. First thing I thought of was weep hole, like on a water pump. It's there for a reason. There is likely an internal seal or diaphragm that's leaking.

Pat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, glad I asked. Interesting that Ford would put a weep hole in the direction of the engine block...you'd think they'd opt to spit fuel away from a hot cast iron block.
Well, the original fuel pump has put in 54 years of service, can't ask for much more I suppose!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well got the new pump in, though it was no simple matter. Two runs to the auto parts store for fittings and sealant...ended up running a rubber line from pump to carb, the metal one was too complicated to try to bend tonight!
I'll get it done right eventually but for now, I'm just happy I have no leaks!

·
Premium Member
6,122 Posts
Dang, you replaced that thing in one day! It took me that long just to get the bolts out.

Reactions: TRP66

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yessir, I was hell bent on getting it done!
Pun intended? Bent? Fuel line...see what I did there? Anyhoo...

Glad you replaced it. Once I start seeing fuel leaks, it's something I address right away. And mech fuel pumps are pretty cheap. As noted above, that original lead a good life and is ready for retirement :sleep:

Do they make the metal line from pump to carb as a pre-bent replacement?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did find prebent fuel line, but haven't ordered it yet....now that fuel isn't spilling onto the engine my next priority is the battery tray area.
Its pretty thoroughly rotted in that area, though the primed 1x8 has done a wonderful job keeping the battery in the car. I'll create a separate post detailing the rust issues that I'm facing!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
The marine version of fuel pumps have a fitting where the vent hole is and a Tygon hose routed through the flame arrestor into the carburetor air inlet. That way gas does not get into the bilge and prevents an explosion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts