Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

Ok so as a few guys know on here i have my 68 500 fstbak, now the space between the big ass 460 hood and my airfilter is less than if not a quarter inch of them not touching under the hood. Now i would like to add a spacer between my carb and the manifold but for obvious reason it will not fit, also i would like a biger air filter but again, you see the dilemma. I would like to know if anybody else has had this applied to their car. i love the way it looks and the stance if you look at the golden 68 in the article in the second link i have here it looks beefy and boasting 800hp helps as well.

but yea id like to know how you installed it(if you have)
and did you use the stock hood or has anybody been able to find a fiberglass hood, although i am wayyy doubtful on that part

1968 Ford Galaxie 500 - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine

Harwood 1107 - Harwood Fiberglass Cowl Induction Hood Scoops - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thanks for takin the time to read about my issues haha

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Personal opinions on looks aside - I've never seen a Gal hood with one 1-piece. That means doing your own grafting, and long scoops are tough to blend and then keep from cracking. One thing that helps is a rigid fiberglass scoop. That usually means heavy, as not many are made with sandwich composites (like honeycomb) and need to be thick for stiffness. No ABS. The flexing of the scoop is what makes the blending to the hood crack over time. BTDT many times. Another option that seems to work well is to mount through the bottom of the hood. This places all the screw/rivets underside and greatly reduces the filler required to hide the junction.

Now, as far as appearance - to each their own and I won't bash anyone's idea of pretty or functional (if it is). A primary point of style design is to accent existing body lines as much as possible rather than fight them. Alternatively, to accent preferred body lines and suppress the ones you don't like so much. So I would point-out the roof line of your car, and how the fastback swoops in an arch up to the windshield. Lo and behold, it's a spitting image of the BOSS scoop series of the late '60s and early '70s, the BOSS 9 (tall BOSS 429 scoop) the Short BOSS (Cougar, Maverick, Marauder, etc.), square BOSS (Fox Mustangs) and derivatives. Also note the speed lines of your hood. Ha. Same deal - a diverging set of lines that match the short BOSS spread at it's base as the lines more rearward. And - they don't require blending to the hood. :tup:

I won't tell you what to do - it's your car. But I'm throwing ideas, options and stuff at you from a design perspective that may be worth considering.

David

The BOSS scoop with inlet grill from CDC on the Summit site:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the material basis for using fiberglass and am not worried about cutting into the hood as i work at a precision steel and plastics cutting warehouse so i have part advantage over most as far as needing to cut things precisely.

Inserting from under the hood up is a good option as i agree with molding would be easier.

As far as keeping the lines of the car if you looked at the links i had posted along with this thread, the galaxies hood lines match the scoop perfectly with one thick solid line. and i feel the size of the car and scoop are a great match. As for designs with the scoop you posted ive looked at them but i think those fight the lines of my car bcuz it then breaks the line of the hood instead of flowing with it. i love all my cars big deep curves and edgeing and wouldnt want to change or alter, but i feel adding is adequate. more of an extension of whats on the car.

and i do appreciate every little bit of advice i can get

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heres what im basing off of so you can get a quick look if people dont click the links....enjoy

0709phr_04_z+1968_ford_galaxie_500+.jpg

0709phr_03_z+1968_ford_galaxie_500+.jpg

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Cool. The point is that you're considering all those factors - something many don't until it's already on the car. Have a blast and post pics!

David

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well its going to be a month maybe two before i start the hood project, as i am currently working on both trans and suspension right now, the ol GAL loves draining the bank, but i dont mind much.

As soon as its done though i will let everybody know on here. i cant wait to start this project

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is where im at with mine i havent fiberglassed it in and i went with a reversed teardrop using it as cowl induction, looks good. I also have a 429 engine so i feel your pain, i smashed two air filters when the engine torqued over, had brand new motor mounts, ended up having to chain engine down and put the scoop on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
The cowl hood you posted is the one I used on my 68 Galaxie 500 it's been on for 10 years and has started to crack around the edges. I think some of the reason it cracked is due to water getting in the scoop ( washing ) and getting under the seam. Anyway I like the look but had to do it over I would go with a 2" tall. No real reason other than taste. Someone does make a steel one which I think would be better than glass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts