Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I always found just bolting to the trans tunnel it set high and didn't feel real secure. This also helped to seal the old hole from the factory shifter.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
OK sports fans, a question for all of you and be honest. I'm not thin skinned, (unless you talk about my wife) so tell me your opinion of the hood louvers?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not a big fan of them on anything past a 50's era car

·
Registered
33 Posts
I dont really care for them....but the fairly small quantity of them would not offend me. Do they help relieve the air pressure under the hood, or would you need more for that to be of any value?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I dont really care for them....but the fairly small quantity of them would not offend me. Do they help relieve the air pressure under the hood, or would you need more for that to be of any value?
These are just over the headers, so they will also vent heat out of the engine compartment at the same time.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
307 Posts
I can see the argument for louvers being "50s". But I can also say that a hotrod is a hotrod. Louvers have the same use now as they did then. So its a creative/stylish way to vent the hood. You probably wont even notice them much if painted same color as hood.

If it were me, I would have made a separate
Panel with louvers and painted them to match hood scoop or ?

I always ask for opinions too, But guess what its your car, you get the chance to express yourself and your handy work/creativity.
Thats what I like and pick out when ever i see cars/trucks that someone has added their own touch to.

In other words go for it man!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have a hood with louvers....

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate

... trunk too.....

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Land vehicle

Louvers "may be" 50's and earlier styling..... but I think they look ok on 60's and even some 70's cars.

68 Shelby Mustang had louvers on the hood, and 67-68 Fastback Mustangs had em on the sail panels...

70's Pontiac LeMans had em on the rear quarter windows.

I'm sure there are other examples....

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
My body guy found a good one. Seems the trunk hinges I had sand blasted and coated a few years back, wouldn't work. The ones I pulled from the car and sent to the shop and had done. I had to get new ones. Come to find out, the coating shop switched mine with someone else's from a Stang.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
OK sports fans, a question for all of you and be honest. I'm not thin skinned, (unless you talk about my wife) so tell me your opinion of the hood louvers?
The idea isn't new, the 68 Shelby GT cars with AC, they had grills on each side of the rear of the hood to release hot air. The 63 Falcon built on Gas money had a cool idea they put panels with holes dimple died on each side of the hood that looked great.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
307 Posts
Because insurance company will pay them 5,000 for a fender replacement that takes half a day. No body shops wants to paint whole cars anymore. If they specialize they want 10k-20k for a nice paint job and waiting list are 18-24 months
Same reason Im looking at installing a booth at my shop.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
307 Posts
Nice color combo👍
Always liked a wine or black cherry with grey or charcoal two tone. I used to have a 65 f100, I wanted to paint that combo.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just got her home. Story to come in the next day or so. Pics included.
Thanks for your patience ladies and gentlemen.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Started working on her today. Did more in 5 hrs then the body shop did in 13 months. Body guy wanted $7K to do the job. I told him $10K was more like it. I even (2 months into the work) bought his shop, with his approval, a rotisserie (which he wanted and needed) because he was putting it up on wooden blocks. I knew that would not lead to a good quality floor and under body repairs.
When he was paid $8K cash and the $2K rotisserie, he all of a sudden decided he wanted to keep the rotisserie and $10K in cash. AKA $12K total. NOT, maybe if done by end of Sept. He promised 8-10 weeks, then before snow flies, (early Oct, then before Turkey Day, then before Xmas, ever drive these rocky mountains in the winter?) took 13 months and 5, 3 day, 1000 mile round trips (to include house/dog settings), FB pictures of progress, phone calls, friends check on it, that also required getting some stuff on my boots to motivate him. Seems once he had it in the shop, and the Cougar was all that was to be worked on, he started taking on other little jobs, insurance jobs, etc, etc, etc, and mine was when he wanted/had time to do.
He was also cavalier enough to post on FB about his other work he was doing, ATV/4 wheeling trips, and just plain screwing off, while BSing me about working on my car, so he thought. Word to the wise about posting stuff on FB, people are watching.
But she's home out of bondage and time to more forward.
Some before and after pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
307 Posts
Looking good, Very nice.
I would have put that guy on a rotisserie.

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide to go back with drum brakes on new rearend?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts