Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the early 70's I saw an article on a 428 bolt swap into a 68 Falcon. I remember they listed all the part numbers for the bolt in. Has anyone ever done this? I can pick up a 68 Falcon and would love to try this. I know the Falcons shared the same chassis as the Mustang so it sounds feasible. Anyone have info on this . thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
it can be done.
but its not a mustang chasis.
its a torino/fairlane chasis.
a buddy of mine had the falcon that was in hotrod years ago it had a 428cj out of a torino.
i think if you use stock parts to put the motor in a torino they will work on the falcon same engine compartment.
good luck.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It is a bolt in with parts from a FE (390, 427, 428) powered 66 to 69 Fairlane, Ranchero, Comet, Montego, Torino, Cyclone, etc. The big block cars used differnt transmission crossmembers, motor mounts, radiators, battery trays, throttle linkages,...pretty much everything, but it's all out there. The larger radiator will require trimming the core support, but that's all the cutting which will be necessary. You should also upgrade the brakes, and a 9-inch out of all of the above (except wagons and Rancheros) will bolt in also.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ford sent Bill Bourke to run Ford AUS back in the late 1960's. Bourkes daily driver was a XW Falcon GT with a complete R-Code 428CJ and C6. Car was flown from AUS to Dearborn where it had the CJ drivetrain for a Fairlane bolted in. It used all factory Ford US parts. BTW, the car was a 4-door Falcon like all other XR/XT/XW/XY Falcon GTs. So, yep it has been done. Get a shop manual for a FE powered Fairlane. Alot of the bits and pieces are repop'd now and can be bought from companies like Dearborn Classic and Auto Krafters.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Early Falcons were on a narrow chassis, also used on the early Mustangs.

For '66 they went to the larger Fairlane chassis. So mounts for a Fairlane/Torino will work on the big Falcons.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Please note -I'm not claiming to be an expert-.

If the space is the same as a 68/69 Fairlane they'll need to watch a couple things:

-You'd need to use the 14 or 16 bolt heads if your going to want cast iron exhaust manifolds. 428s out of full size cars will be 8-bolt heads. 428s out of Mustangs and Torinos will be 14 or 16(CJ). If you’re going to run after market heads than you'll have the 16 bolt holes. You could probably get away with 8 bolt heads if you use headers. The flanges are thinner and allow for bolt clearance to the shock towers. Also, the shock towers are welded on the seams for big block cars.

-If you’re going manual trans, I have no knowledge. For a C-6 the shifter linkage is different for the intermediates than the full size for sure (my own experience). If you run headers the C-6 needs the arm over the top of the shaft, not under(like the full size). The full size linkage won't clear Fairlane headers.

-I don't know if you'll really need to cut anything for your radiator unless you want a bigger one. Mine fits pretty good and I don't thinks it's actually bigger than the small blocks, just arranged different. Which is one reason I'm considering an aluminum one.

-The battery tray may be different simply because it's the bigger series or they need the room for the alternator or smog pump.

-You’ll need the accessories for the engine too. Nothing from the other engines will fit.

-Depending on your cars options…
--brakes, *almost all FE cars had discs up front.
--rear end, *almost all FE cars had 9” axles.

*note: “almost all” reflects lack of research on my part.

I can't speak for all, but I'd be happy to post any specific pictures that could help.

I like FEs and say... do it.:D

Edit:
You know something, some of that won't apply if its a right-hand drive car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the ac 24" wide radiator bolts right in. you just need make sure you have the left side return on the lower tank. better with the automatic or you destroy your unibody

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question? My brother and I discussed this and he says no, I tried to special order a 65 Ford Futura from a local dealer with a 390, speed. The dealer at the time said they would order it, but the warranty would be voided., for obvious reasons. Am I dreaming or was the salesman just lying to me.

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
Salesman was lying or didn't know

As a backup to the correct responses below, 68 Falcon is like Fairlane, Torino, Montego. Pretty easy swap. Early models small block only without much cutting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts