Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been kicking around the idea of converting my 68 Formal Roof to LED tailights after seeing a Galaxie been converted (thanks to Brightlight). So far I have the basics laid out. It will require 76 LEDS for the running/brake lights ( 2 rows laid out in 2 loop), 18 LEDS (1 row laid out in 1 loop) for the reverse lights (plus some other various components to make this work. It will be made on a PCB (programmable circuit board). You can visualize what the board will look like

Shown in the picture above is the outline of the bucket, along with the outline of the approximate location of the reverse light. What I am thinking is to set the existing tail light bucket aside and not mutilate it, rather make a new pair of buckets. Here is where I would like some input for yall. In making the PCB, I have 2 routes. One is to etch the board myself and make it a one off design which will require me to manually drill all the holes (somewhere around 300 tiny holes per board). Not impossible, but time consuming and if someone else wanted one, then the same drilling would be required. The other option is to farm off the manufacturing of the PCB. For it to be manufactured, there is a minimum number of boards that have to be made. The price is determined by the size of the board and the number of boards made. The cost of all the other components comes at about $130 to do both lights plus the cost of having the PCB made. If there is enough interest in getting a few sets made, then I will go that route, if not then I'll etch my own board. This isn't something that will be done soon, but in the next few months. My first test fit with the above schematic will go through several revisions of tweaking. Figure I would get some feelers out there on the interest.
As to how this setup will work is it will be 2 seperate circuits, one for the reverse lights, and one for the running/brake lights. A voltage regulator will be used on each of the 3 leads (brake, running, reverse) coming into the circuit along with 3 potentiometers (i.e., variable resistors). The brake and reverse leads will be regulated down to 9Vs coming in and the running lights will be regulated down to 8V coming in. This will allow for the LEDS to operate should they need be operated when the car is not running. The potentiometer will be ran after the voltage regulators that will allow for the fine tuning of the luminosity of the LEDS. Since the running/brake lights will be running through the same LEDS, a diode will be placed after the potentiometer too insure it isnt backfed through the system between the running and brake leads. I haven't got to making the bucket yet, but that should be the easy part.
Whats yall's thoughts?

·
Registered
439 Posts
I undertook a similar project for my 67 Olds Vista Cruiser. I used 140 super bright LEDs (70 mA) per side. They are organized in 28 parallel groups of 5 in series. Each of the 5 LED bank is also in series with a resistor that limits the voltage across the each LED. The feed for the LEDs in running mode goes through another resistor that limits their brightness by 50%, but is bypassed when the brake light switch is closed. There is also a diode to prevent the current from just being channeled through the resistor. Finally, I replaced the flasher with one that is not affected by the reduced current load of the LEDs.

I considered using voltage regulators and LED drivers, but those brought too much complexity and cost to the design.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts