Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 68 galaxie 4 door and well one day the car drove fine then the next it was as if the car lost power when i changed the oil i found metal shavings in the oil. i have heard some people say that i need a overhaul but someone told me that it might be the timing chain's plastic gear that broke off and now its rubbing on metal any way of telling what it could be with out taking the whole engine apart ?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't know if a rebuild is needed but, a timing chain is a whole lot easier and cheaper to do. If you have allot of miles on it and you are finding plastic in the oil then a safe bet is the chain. If you are serious about fixing it just tear it down as if you are going to do a chain repair. Once inside, you'll know. I put more then 130,000 on my '78 F250 work truck before I did the chain. When I pulled it apart I was able to work the chain off the gears without removing the gear because it was so loose and wore out. The engine was so polluted with nylon and metal fragments I also pulled the oil pan replaced the oil pump and cleaned it out as much as possible. Now, on it's second chain, it has nearly 240,000 on it, still runs good but smokes because of ring wear. I'm afraid to do a head job as that will probably blow out what's left of the compression it can still build. Now it only goes out when there's nothing else available. It has always been my favorite and the best truck I have ever owned. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hard to say if it is the timing chain, needs an overhaul, or something else like a clogged up fuel filter. Lost power is not much to go on. I would think that if the timing chain gear lost teeth and jumped a gear or 2 the car would back fire and run really rough. Metal shaving are never good but they don't mean a timing gear since the original gears were plastic. If you are not good with engines, you might consider having a mechanic look at the car.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've only had 1 timing chain "go out" myself on my old Cougar and it was hard to get the car started and it shook violently as I drove it to the repair shop. I was 18 and in college and away from home and had no clue what it was and thankfully got to a shop that had actual mechanics just by luck and was good to go in no time. It used to be fairly common for folks to change out timing gear sets/chains without rebuild, I heard of it alot growing up. I bought a 68 Ford truck that wouldn't run and it had a Mustang 302 in it that had ran so long (untold miles), the chain was so loose, it had gotten into the front alum cover and wore a groove in it and of course all the shavings trashed the engine.
If it were mine, and you weren't dissatisfied with the engine prior, I'd change the timing chain/gear and keep on trucking. But I also tend to keep in mind, because I have a 4 door, it's easy to keep pouring money in and getting further and further upside down in value on a 4 door. But, likely your car is much nicer than mine. No matter what you have in a 4 door, when it comes time to sell, you're going to loose, it's just a matter of how much.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
i have a 68 galaxie 4 door and well one day the car drove fine then the next it was as if the car lost power when i changed the oil i found metal shavings in the oil. i have heard some people say that i need a overhaul but someone told me that it might be the timing chain's plastic gear that broke off and now its rubbing on metal any way of telling what it could be with out taking the whole engine apart ?
The engine was so polluted with nylon and metal fragments I also pulled the oil pan replaced the oil pump and cleaned it out as much as possible
It used to be fairly common for folks to change out timing gear sets/chains without rebuild...

It still is...

the chain was so loose, it had gotten into the front alum cover and wore a groove in it and of course all the shavings trashed the engine.
If a loose chain is suspected, simply static time check the engine. Turn the engine (by hand) until you come to TDC on the balancer on #1 compression stroke. Does the dist rotor point to #1 cyl wire position (plus or minus for initial mechanical advance). If not, suspect the chain (if the distributor has not been moved previously.

Then rotate the engine in the opposite direction (by hand) and stop when you notice the rotor begin to move. Now read the degrees off the balancer to see how many degrees it has been turned (chain slop).

If the cam gear has begun to trash itself (nylon gear coating), the pan should be dropped and the pickup cleaned. Money wise to replace to replace the oil pump at this point. Those nylon pieces will get by the screen and lock the pump at some point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts