Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know for a fact that the car is all original. Is there any rule of thumb on what rears came in the 68 with the 390 engine? According to the data sticker inside the door it has the 275:1 gears but I need to know if it is a 9 inch or is there a possibility it is an 8 inch? Also need to know what spline the axles are?

I know I can crawl under the car and check the tag, I just haven't done it because I have back issues and am currently also awaiting knee surgery. So... was hoping I could figure this out without the crawling around on the ground part. LOL.

Looking at lowering the gears for better off the line acceleration (pretty good now though) also looking at installing a Powertrax No Slip locker.

I have a Power Trax Lock Right in my 302 Maverick and it has stood up to some pretty stiff punishment on both the street and the strip and is still hanging in there. The "No Slip" is pretty much the upgrade to the "Lock Right" so I figure I'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'd think that if it is not a 9" the other possibility would be a WER. Those are an 8 3/4" ring gear, but they are a non-removable carrier, and seemed to be common in small block cars. I would think the FE cars most likely came with the 9". The quick check is to see if there is a cover plate on the back of the housing. The WER will have a removable cover, the 9" will not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am almost 100% sure it is a 9 inch. guess I will ask someone to crawl up under this beast and check the tag for me. Want to put the PowerTraxx Ratcheting Locker in and put a little more gear ratio in there while I have the center chunck out. Currently have the factory 2.75:1 and Think I would like to go to maybe a 3.25:1 (slim possibility of a 3.55:1).

Car is basically all original unrestored 82,000 miles in good "daily driver" condition.

Would also like to swap 2bbl intake and carb for 4bbl, get some dual exhaust (not too loud) Would like to have a nice choppy sounding cam but I don't know if I want to give up how smooth it runs and drives for what I will get out of a decent cam.

Also want some nice wider tires and rims. Just can't decide if I want to go Old Skewl with maybe some 15 inch Magnum 500s, 8 inch wide on back and 6 on front with maybe some 275 and 225 width tires.
Or do I want to go with some nice looking 17 inch polished rims with the low sidewall and nice wide tread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also found out (according to my ID plate and Chilton Manual I have a FMX transmission and not a C6. Those old C6 trannies were pretty near bulet proof.

Guess I need to look into how rough, tough and reliable these FMX transmissions are??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts