Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 100% rust free 87 GMC 2wd Suburban for a 68 Galaxie 500 2 door hard top. It has a 390 with automatic. I might have just lost out on a real nice truck. I did look over the car real good before I bought it and saw the issues. Both sides under the doors have frame rot, it looks to be just the frame bottom is gone. The trunk inside looks good, quarters have just a little bit of rust, a couple small holes in the floor, and a poor interior. The good is I got to drive it home and it made it. It drives amazingly, aside from the scare that I though the belt came off.... it turned out to be that the front left hubcap came off. It looks like, according to the registration, it was last road legal was in 99.

I do have a couple questions - (1)My steering wheel is ugly with the big pad in the center, it is also in bad shape. What year steering wheels will fit that are about the same size, still factory ford? I was thinking more of a sportier 3 spoke steering wheel with steel horn button. (2)My dash cap is in real bad shape, can you take the padded material off the dash and leave it steel? Does anyone have a pic of one without a dash pad? (3)The front seat, split back bench, is also in bad shape with steel showing. What year seats can I use? I'm sorry for not knowing, never had a galaxie before. Also the hood scoop isn't real, not even bolted down, it was just sat there messing around.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Couple of folks here got the Grant wheels Grant Steering Wheels , you can get them from Summit. Get a big one or a suicide knob if you have manual steering, though.

also I saw a pic of a 65 with the padding off the dash here a while ago, maybe the padding was an option back then, in which case you can take it off. Is it so bad a plastic dash cap wouldn't work? https://www.dashcaps.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17069&cat=313&page=1? I got one and it did not look bad, covered it with foam and vinyl and it looks good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took some better pics of the car. Also upon inspecting it more under the hood, I realize I need a set of manifolds or headers because they are cracked all over. I also realized that the roof is real thin, its about rusted threw in some spots. It looks like I've made a bad decision to trade my suburban even up for this car. I don't regret it just yet, just sux the car is worse than I thought it was.

This is what I had in mind for a steering wheel, I don't know if it will fit on the hub or not. I have a blue 64 Ford Fairlane steering wheel, I'm not taking my Meteor wagon apart, I still drive it daily.

The dash looks bad, idk if I can take the padding off without replacing it with another one. I'd rather not have too replace it, I like the steel dash look.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
That's the kind I have on my 65

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I did some work on the galaxie. I did a compression check on the one cylinder that was oiling the plug. It was 25 lbs. I rolled the motor until the valves were closed, and put air in the cylinder. It smoked threw the cracks in the manifolds. On the opposite side of the motor the compression was 150 lbs in all cylinders. I'm going to pull the intake and heads off, and have the valve fixed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it looks like I was wrong or may not be the whole problem being a bad valve. I found a broken push rod when I pulled the valve cover.

·
Registered
408 Posts
South what did you do to fix the dash? Mine is as bad as the OP's dash? Nice 68 to both of you too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
its been a while since I posted on this, forgot I never updated it.

My galaxie became reliable, drove it on a 600 mile one way trip and back right after I fixed the pushrod. The manifolds I bought off this forum are complete and solid but they blow gaskets like crazy. I plan to have them surfaces soon. I gave it a quick rattle can paint job, fastest way to make it look "better". Here is some pics.

When its dirty and the sun is real right the color changes....

·
Registered
136 Posts
I ordered a Dash pad for it a couple years back. Think i got it off ebay. It wasnt hard to put on, it just simply slides over the existing dash. Some trimming is required along with some gluing. My galaxie is still setting in the basement waiting on me to put the engine back in.

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Good ol rattle cans sure come in handy! Glad the trip went great also. So the problem was just the pushrod bent from a stuck valve and then, engine still run to cause it to break?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think the push rod broke because it was over revved or something. The pushrod probably came out of place at high rpm's then got stuck in the head, and broke. That would be my guess.

When I bought the car it ran bad, and smoked like a train. I thought it needed a rebuild and started taking the valve cover off to pull the head, found the pushrod broke. Replacing the pushrod made a world of difference, it dont smoke anymore, and runs alot better. It'll get sideways even with a 2bbl. I'd still like to get my hands on an aluminum 4bbl intake, have a cast one sitting here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had three pushrods bent when I disassembled my 390. I believe they bent because the Engine sat for a couple of years and when I got it, I tried to start it without checking for sticking valves.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 68 Galaxie formal hardtop, 2 door, with a 390 and a cruise-o-matic as well. I am looking for heads, preferably with valves and springs, but I don't want to spend a fortune on the edlebrock's. Does anyone know who else makes heads for the 390?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have not checked in a while but you might find some in a junk yard and I have seen several sets of 390 cast iron heads on eBay just have to be carefull not to order a set that are useless. I had mine reworked with bigger valves harden seats and springs to match my cam. Don't remember the cost but it wasn't very much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on my 68 Galaxie

I have been daily driving my galaxie pretty much the whole time I've had it. It had been leaking a lot of oil and transmission fluid but I been keeping up on it, checking it every other day. Oil pressure has been getting a little low as well. About 2 months ago the transmission started to act worse that it ever has, usually just had a weird shift from 2nd to 3rd. On a Saturday I drove it to town and cruised the beach, no problems. Sunday morning, 5 miles into town, taking off from a standstill it would act like it was in Neutral and then fall into drive. I pulled off the road, checked the fluid, it was in operation level. I decided to continue on my way into the city of Kalamazoo. Every other stop it seems like it would do the fall into drive thing. On my way home, 20 miles constant then I turn off the road and the car has no pull, as I'm coasting it decides to work again. I continue my trip home, stop at an intersection, car wont move. I bring up the rpms a little and the car is jumping and chattering inching forward. I shut it down, walk across the street for a soda, get back to the car, fire it up, shift into drive, good to go again. It was fine the remaining 5 miles home.

A couple weeks go by, car is sitting, put the car in reverse, no go. I put the car in drive, drove it down the hill and u turn back, pull it in front of the garage, yank the motor and trans out of it.

On the shelf waiting for the car is (all brand new) Lunati Bracket Master cam and lifter kit, high volume oil pump, timing gears / chain, HEI 390 distributor, freeze plug kit, Holley 780 Dual feed rebuild kit, oil pan, and full engine gasket kit. In the used parts I had waiting for it is an Edelbrock Performer 390 Intake, M/T Finned Aluminum Valve covers, Holly 780 Dual Feed OEM GM 427/396 Carb, and a C6 I got off craigslist (hope its good, looks remanufactured). I got a steal on the C6, $100 as well as the Intake $50.

Anyways car is Flat Black now, new set of wheels 20", engine and trans was just set in the car last night awaiting completion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts