Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, i bought a 68 galaxie broke it all down to do a restoration and now i'm trying to wire everything back up. Stupid me didn't take any photos of the wiring so here i am. (maybe that's okay cause it was all jacked up before anyway.) I'm trying to figure out how to wire the idiot light on my alternator. Here's what i figured out so far.

• Current alternator: Remy 20039 (2 wire plug)
  • Using shop manual identified green red striped wire #904. This runs back to ignition and should be wired to key on wire for alt. page 909
  • Using shop manual: at assembly #14401 wire 904 splices into 643 which runs to the charge indicator lamp which i presume is the idiot light page 909
Does this means both wires on my alternator should be spliced into wire 904? I attached the pages from the shop manual for reference. Thank you for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Long story short, i bought a 68 galaxie broke it all down to do a restoration and now i'm trying to wire everything back up. Stupid me didn't take any photos of the wiring so here i am. (maybe that's okay cause it was all jacked up before anyway.) I'm trying to figure out how to wire the idiot light on my alternator. Here's what i figured out so far.

• Current alternator: Remy 20039 (2 wire plug)
  • Using shop manual identified green red striped wire #904. This runs back to ignition and should be wired to key on wire for alt. page 909
  • Using shop manual: at assembly #14401 wire 904 splices into 643 which runs to the charge indicator lamp which i presume is the idiot light page 909
Does this means both wires on my alternator should be spliced into wire 904? I attached the pages from the shop manual for reference. Thank you for the help!
Hello 808Mark,

Simplicity itself, the early Delco 10SI alternator is easy to connect. On the side plug of the alternator #2 wire (usually red) goes to battery, #1 wire (usually brown) goes to Ford circuit #904 (green w/red stripe). The bat terminal goes to the battery with either a fusible link or inline replaceable fuse. Please install one or the other for protection. Ideally #2 wire from the Delco also needs to be fused for protection in case the regulator shorts (1 amp will work). All #2 wire from the Delco is the voltage sense wire which sets the maximum charging voltage out of the alternator.

Ford circuit #904 has the "ALT" lamp and parallel resistor (under the dash, resistance wire) that allows for low RPM self energizing of the alternator.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello 808Mark,

Simplicity itself, the early Delco 10SI alternator is easy to connect. On the side plug of the alternator #2 wire (usually red) goes to battery, #1 wire (usually brown) goes to Ford circuit #904 (green w/red stripe). The bat terminal goes to the battery with either a fusible link or inline replaceable fuse. Please install one or the other for protection. Ideally #2 wire from the Delco also needs to be fused for protection in case the regulator shorts (1 amp will work). All #2 wire from the Delco is the voltage sense wire which sets the maximum charging voltage out of the alternator.

Ford circuit #904 has the "ALT" lamp and parallel resistor (under the dash, resistance wire) that allows for low RPM self energizing of the alternator.

Cheers
Thank you for the explanation. That helped a lot! So to confirm, it would be okay to connect the #2 wire in the plug to my + junction box?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thank you for the explanation. That helped a lot! So to confirm, it would be okay to connect the #2 wire in the plug to my + junction box?
Hello 808Mark,

Yuppers, I would still fuse it though with a 1 amp inline.

Cheer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts