Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

68 galaxie crashed already!!!

6K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  insane1 
#1 ·
:mad:

So if anybody has been lookin through my threads my car was almost done, hell yesterday was D-Day, then i get this call

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Coupé

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Hood

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Classic

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

I went to the shop earl this morning to assess how bad it was, to be quite honest i am in disbelief and dont know really how to react, The shop will be taking care of everything but as far as fixing the back panel i dont think they quite know what they are in for...

So im asking the community "please" for help in finding a rear quarter panel for my car so it can be restored

I feel so sick, this car meant everything to me, and go figure this kinda of thing would happen to me

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh and here is how it happened, So i call at 445 pm to see if my car will be done, i was told all ready and good to go at 6pm

At 515 I get the call that ends all

What i was told, Is the car was attached or chained to a car lift because they were finishing up my exhaust, 40series flowmasters straight back, so as they were turning it over someone was inside or something but somehow they knocked the car into reverse and had the throttle wide open, it took off of the lift and slammed into a nissan altima which is far beyond totaled from what my galaxie did to it but it then oushed it into another car. 3 cars in all

I was told it ripped the chains off of the lift and they stood no chance, dont doubt that with my 460 the heavy galaxie and the few things i did to squeeze some power outa the big block

But like i said i was told everything will be taken care of and i can only hope for the best, also i checked the throttle body on the carb and it was in working order it was all the way down i oushed it to make sure it opened fine wasnt jamming and all that which it wasnt so someone had to of had there foot on the peddle

Any help i can get for any of the damage please let me know, tailights trunk lid, the chrome on the lid, galaxie 500 emblem, and a rear quarter in fairly decent shape would be nice,

Thanks Guys

#19 ·
Scratch that. I called and the quarters,bumper and truck lid are gone. They do have some other 68's, but I don't know what will interchange.

Thanks Bcuz, i called too and then i read this again and was like dam, but thanks so much for going ahead and checking this for me before hand

#5 ·
Throttle wide open up on a lift and with chains on the car? Uhmmm, errr, that sounds like a big fish story.

I hope they make it right.

You are in your rights to require them to pay and take it somewhere else if you don't really trust them. Otherwise it is law suit time.

#7 ·
Throttle wide open up on a lift and with chains on the car? Uhmmm, errr, that sounds like a big fish story.
What i was thinking/wondering about...WOT? why?
I hope they make it right.

You are in your rights to require them to pay and take it somewhere else if you don't really trust them. Otherwise it is law suit time.
Yep, i concur ...

#10 ·
They were also rebuildong the trans at the same time and installing the starter im guessing maybe they pueeld it out from under the car since they didnt want to pull the motor and trans

the shop owner said after they brough the lift down they left the chains attached for some reason but loosened them is how it broke them off

As far as detiails and actual events that occured, i cant say they are 100% accurate

but they are taking care of everything, which will include a new paint job because i will have all these parts from different galaxie that wont match. they are very humble and very sincere for what happened, the father(owner of the shop) has been ripping into the people who let thhis happen

when i got there i simply removed the attachments from the carb n throttle body so they just cant step on the gas pedal anymore
problem solved with that ever happening again right

but the more i know i will let everyone else know,
also if you come accross a 68 trunk lid please let me know

#12 ·
Could have been one of the young grunts in the shop moving it around. They don't know how to drive something that has some real power any more.

I won't let anybody drive my mustang even onto a lift. I have a great excuse too though. With a 4750 stall I could see some young kid putting it through a wall very easily.

#13 ·
Could have been one of the young grunts in the shop moving it around. They don't know how to drive something that has some real power any more.

I won't let anybody drive my mustang even onto a lift. I have a great excuse too though. With a 4750 stall I could see some young kid putting it through a wall very easily.

Dont tell me that now you got me thinking someone else was out enjoying my ride and just said ooops before ive even sat in it with it idling

#15 ·
63Ford406 might have some places that have parts. Can't think of the name of the place south headed towards san diego (memory lane?). There is Big M up north and another somewhere down there. Hopefully he sees it and has some ideas. What about the Ontario pick-a-part. I get emails now and then from a guy down there with pics and what old cars are coming up for parts or are there for parts.

That is just horrible what happened to your car!! The stories are as bad as the sandblaster that put a dent in a hood while sandblasting it a while back. The real story will never be known.:(

#17 ·
63Ford406 might have some places that have parts. Can't think of the name of the place south headed towards san diego (memory lane?). There is Big M up north and another somewhere down there. Hopefully he sees it and has some ideas. What about the Ontario pick-a-part. I get emails now and then from a guy down there with pics and what old cars are coming up for parts or are there for parts.

That is just horrible what happened to your car!! The stories are as bad as the sandblaster that put a dent in a hood while sandblasting it a while back. The real story will never be known.:(

Thanks i will check em out

Already called pick a part here in ontario, No big fords or mercurys in the lot right now

#18 ·
#20 ·
thanks PUTTS i know its been my dream for a year to finally get it on the road...

But i think i will call this Galaxie "Christine"
like the movie because apparently the second she came alive she was on the hunt

#30 ·
Accidents Happen,

I am keeping a very close eye on my car this time around, i talked it over and if the shop doesnt repair everything to the way i want the other option if for them to give me cash or insurance pay out which then they will low ball the hell out of me....

and to new muscle i have a C6 trans but ive heard it can happen to basically any old car, but a pool...now that mustve been horrible

i do trust these guys the owner of the shop is a good guy it was just something that went wrong somewhere either car or employee mistake, i know the take great care of my friends Blue nova which is mint

#31 ·
Also, i was ablte to find all the parts i need,
I called Dearborn Classics(Ecklers)
They gave my a number to call
That number gave me two numbers to call
On of those numbers gave me one more
And that lst one was the ticket has a whole straight body car entire car is being parted out and is no more than 40 miles from me, so i got lucky!!!

#32 ·
Man that sucks! That car was moving to that kinda damage.

Sounds like some bull**** story to me. What the hell are they taking about chains? Never seen anyone chain a car on a lift... dyno, yes...not a regular lift?

Been doing resto work for many years and there is a lot of work to get that right. Most insurance co. are just going to want to total it and not pay to fix it right. And unless it's done right you will never be happy with the car again.

You need to get at least 3 shops to look at and give you a written quote before you agree to anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.