Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!
I am trying to track down a grounding problem in my 68. Can someone plz tell me where all of the ground wires connect? I have a wiring diagram but it makes absolutely no sense to me, partially because I have a 1975 351m/400 in it.
Thanks!

·
Subscriber
764 Posts
i can't tell you the stock locations- but i can tell you that more is better.
ground to frame
ground to block
ground to firewall
etc.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can't tell you the stock locations- but i can tell you that more is better.
ground to frame
ground to block
ground to firewall
etc.
I have both the block and firewall grouns connected but cannot find the frame ground. Can someone post a picture of where it should be located? Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My alternator light keeps coming on, but only when I mount the voltage regulator (brand new) to the rad support. If the voltage regulator is hanging in mid air it's completely fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a pic of all the ground wires I currently have. Are anyof them misplaced? Have I missed any?

Green = Body to manifold
Pink = Block (right below header) to inner fender
Blue = Bettery to lower alternator bracket
Red = Ignition coil to lower alternator bracket

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
My alternator light keeps coming on, but only when I mount the voltage regulator (brand new) to the rad support. If the voltage regulator is hanging in mid air it's completely fine.
then ground is not your issue,or light would not come on when mounting regulator...

also looks like you have plenty of grounding points, maybe ad one between block and frame....

regulator might be the problem, even tho new.. but could still be faulty...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I could be wrong, but the battery ground should go to the frame or the block not to the alternator. In addition to that a heavy ground wire should go from the block to the the frame. I don't see where the location of the ground makes a difference as long as they are there. My battery is in the trunk so if I need a quick hook up to the battery I connect from the hot side of the solenoid and to the frame ground strap that connects the block to the frame.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I have battery ground to block, block to firewall and firewall to frame. As long as the loop is there it should be fine. Also the regulator is grounded to the core support.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts