Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad:

Ok So i was wiring or trying to wire up my car this weekend to find out the previous owner had completely by passed the fuse box and had the main hot coming off of the ignition to power everything which is dangerous (friend is a great electrical engineer who was helping me). we had open wires and many other problems we found(surprised it didnt burn down before) he said for this thing to be done right without any problems or worrying about fire i should try and get a stock wire kit for the car that he can hook up if i can find one which brings me to the problem....I CANT FIND A 68 GALAXIE WIRING KIT so far ive only checked summit and dearborn. this is the last step in finally turning my car on for the first time since the rebuild. Has anybody else done this to thur Galaxie?

but for the minute i had it on i found out i had purple interior lighting haha
lights.jpg

Also here is a small update i fabricated my own radiator mounting brackets, what do you guys think? im satisfied with it
rad bracket.jpg

·
Registered
977 Posts
:mad:

Ok So i was wiring or trying to wire up my car this weekend to find out the previous owner had completely by passed the fuse box and had the main hot coming off of the ignition to power everything which is dangerous (friend is a great electrical engineer who was helping me). we had open wires and many other problems we found(surprised it didnt burn down before) he said for this thing to be done right without any problems or worrying about fire i should try and get a stock wire kit for the car that he can hook up if i can find one which brings me to the problem....I CANT FIND A 68 GALAXIE WIRING KIT so far ive only checked summit and dearborn. this is the last step in finally turning my car on for the first time since the rebuild. Has anybody else done this to thur Galaxie?

but for the minute i had it on i found out i had purple interior lighting haha
View attachment 22128

Also here is a small update i fabricated my own radiator mounting brackets, what do you guys think? im satisfied with it
View attachment 22129
WHAT IS THE RED AND GREEN WIRE CONNECTED TO ON THE CAR? Do you do away with the old coil?
LOOKS GREAT!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old coil is gone and switched to a HEI dist with the coil pack inside, kills two birds with one stone.

The Red and yellow wire are to the HEI
Right below are the green and black wires, they are sensor wires that are in the manifold kinda hard to see with bracket and spring for throttle in the way. after tonight i will have a thread with a few mor pictures since i got some wiring done last night

But im glad you like it ive been working hard and its been throwing obsticle after obsticle at me but im getting closer, since im a young buck compared to alot of the seasoned guys on here this is my first build ever i think im doing alright

·
Registered
977 Posts
The old coil is gone and switched to a HEI dist with the coil pack inside, kills two birds with one stone.

The Red and yellow wire are to the HEI
Right below are the green and black wires, they are sensor wires that are in the manifold kinda hard to see with bracket and spring for throttle in the way. after tonight i will have a thread with a few mor pictures since i got some wiring done last night

But im glad you like it ive been working hard and its been throwing obsticle after obsticle at me but im getting closer, since im a young buck compared to alot of the seasoned guys on here this is my first build ever i think im doing alright
I'm upgrading the ole 63 myself . One thing leds to another but when we're done we can say PROUDLY we done that.. I have an X son in law I'm gona ask for some hands on ADVICE, plus your pictures and comments I'll GET ER DONE!!THANKS again..

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonight i will take some up close shots and upload them tomorrow to help ya out, but stil if anybody knows where i can pick up a Dash wiring kit for a 68 Galaxie 500 much appreciated

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had wiring issues with mine....there are to date no known makers of complete wiring kits specifically for the 68 galaxie....options are to either find a junked one with similar options and good wiring or build your own with either a diagram or laying yours out and seeing the issues and correcting them as you build it...i have had to do it and its a pita....but at least when its done you know everything is good and it gets rid of fusible links which were the worst thing in wiring imo....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The painless kits ive seen kinda look really painful lol. Since everything i see in my car is modular and none of the link ups in the kit look like the same connectors. I will keep looking and gota ask my electrician friend whats best because he is goin to do most of it for me with a few cases of beer as incentive haha

10 to 1 says we r goin to get into the dash pull al the wire out and go from thur and probly make our own. if anyone needs a whole complete wiring diagram and head to toe complete factory manual on disk heres the link its super helpful every nut bolt wire panel you name it in PDF format

1968 Ford Galaxie Shop Manuals on CDrom

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd recommend the american auto wire highway series.

i am rewiring my entire car now with one. They are super complete down to the dimmer, high/low, and ignition switch.

Everything is labeled and the tech support is second to none.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd recommend the american auto wire highway series.

i am rewiring my entire car now with one. They are super complete down to the dimmer, high/low, and ignition switch.

Everything is labeled and the tech support is second to none.

Could you provide a link so i can review the product please

·
Registered
260 Posts
Could you provide a link so i can review the product please

Highway Series Custom Street Rod Wiring Harness Kits

You can find the kit for under $400 delivered to your door in a few places.

Just remember to NOT toss the sockets for your lighting when you "de-wire" your car.

They also sell a no load flasher that works with all forms of LED bulbs, should you choose to upgrade for visibility.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a bunch Z. i will definitely mull these over with my buddy and see wha he thinks is best

·
Registered
390 Posts
The wondeful world of car wiring harness. I,m in the middle of redoing my my 65 harness. It's not as bad as it seems. You have the tail light harness, the dash harness, the engine harness, the head light harness, the regulator to alt. harness, the wiper harness, the heate harness. I took each harnes and removed the tape off and checked each wire and made repair as needed. I ordered from Painless Powerbrain, split braided sleeving And did all my harness with this, which looks original. The only one I did not untape was the dash harness. I run spare wires in my engine harness, for future use. The dash harness I took the oil pressure wire and the temperture wire and lenghten them for after market guages. I allso pulled a ing. hot wire to run to the trunck. I move my battery to the rear. I got a small fuse boxs from Painless that have about 4 ing. hot and 4 batt. hot The amount be off. Now if anything I want to add in the future I got it. Find a wiring harness kit for your car may not be out there. With a little bit of time a wiring diagram you can redo what you got and make it look great.This is my second Galaxie to redo wiring. Lucky me I got one more to go.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
randy do i wish i had pictures of the tangled, effed up, highly dangerous mess of wires i was working with imagine huge clumps of wire not connected to anything at all with open ends not capped or butted up touching hot wire placed not zip tied or connected to anythng but hanging thur bcuz it was tangled in with other wire. i found 3 of these

Next a found two hot wires HOT zip tied so that the cooper coils were side by side to make connection again open ended and a few twisted together also open ended is what i found waiting for me under the dash.

So redo everything is what i have to do but just as far a dash goes. with front end wiring backend wiring is the super easy stuff but i had shorts like no tomorrow under the dash.

quick history: my car was bought froma little old lady(1st owner) guy who bought from her got the car into stock show condition left it all primarily stock just cleaned things up(2nd owner) sold to kid who tried to lower bag drop the car add some sorta disfunctional stereo n let the engine go to waste n so on(3rd owner) resold car back to second owner.....second owner was not happy but got the car back for next to nothing. then sells to me(4th owner) im setting everything back right in hopes to put this car back how it should be, no longer stock, but show room quality none the less

·
Registered
390 Posts
Kfactor 90, Ok go to Painless web site Go to item #91010123. once it comes up click on instruction. Look threw the instruction. Pay attention to the head light section about daul head lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts