Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

The local picknpull has a 68 ltd and a 78 tbird. both have discs. which is the better choice for converting my 67 galaxie 500 fastback? I know the ltd will bolt in easier, I am really wondering if there is any advantage to the 78 tbird brakes as far as cost, performance and availability of parts.

thank you

Ben

·
Registered
653 Posts
The local picknpull has a 68 ltd and a 78 tbird. both have discs. which is the better choice for converting my 67 galaxie 500 fastback? I know the ltd will bolt in easier, I am really wondering if there is any advantage to the 78 tbird brakes as far as cost, performance and availability of parts.
'68 LTD - small spindle snout (same as your current spindles) so weaker spindle. One-year-only rotor I think and parts availability might be harder. 12in rotor diameter so better braking performance in heavy use but requires 15in wheels.

'78 Bird - big spindle snout so stronger spindle. Widely shared rotor, parts should be common and cheap. 11in rotor diameter small for a 4000lb+ car. Some 14in wheels will fit.

Now, I'd suggest looking for a '70-72 LTD/Merc/Mark IV/Thunderbird setup which has the big snout and readily-available 12in rotor, but...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I think Im gonna grab the spindles off both cars in case there is unseen damage.

you think the tbird springs would lower my gal?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts