Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had this 1968 Mercury Cyclone for a few years now and I noticed that the vin plate is located on the passenger side between the dash and the windshield.

When I went to decode the the vin in my Mercury Cyclone/Ford Torino Restoration Guide it says the vin plate is located on the drivers side... It looks as though the plate was never removed and placed on the passenger side as if it came that way from the factory. The vin numbers also match the vin numbers on the door so I'm not too sure whats going on here?

If anyone has any knowledge of why this could be I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Subscriber
626 Posts
Never heard of it, but there it is...

You've had the front fenders off and the VIN is stamped on the rail...

As to moving it...Up to you...

If someone tried to fake it, they wouldn't have made that mistake...

Nice car...

What color ??? What motor ??

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Thats where they were, had a 68 Montego that belonged to a relative so I knew the car from new. Also my 68 Torino was there and would swear I have seen 68 Mustang that was on the passenger side.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I was under the assumption that FED REGS required it to be visible on the drivers' side.

Maybe MARTI can answer the question?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I guess it is a '68 Mercury thing...I have a 69 Torino GT as well and the vin is on the drivers side so I guess that kind of explains it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never heard of it, but there it is...

You've had the front fenders off and the VIN is stamped on the rail...

As to moving it...Up to you...

If someone tried to fake it, they wouldn't have made that mistake...

Nice car...

What color ??? What motor ??
Thanks, Its a project me and my father have been working on for the last few years. Its going to be a gun metal/dark grey color and we're going to drop a 390 in it

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
When the VIN tag began to be used for the 1968 model year, it was installed in the dash up against the window on the passenger side.

United States Title Code required the tag to be visible to government officials (especially police officers); however, it was not specified which side to place the tag. Chrysler Corporation and General Motors Corporation choose the driver side of their vehicles. The code was amended for the 1969 model year requiring it to be on the driver side.

Because of this anomaly, government officials occasionally make the mistake of assuming a 1968 Ford vehicle has been tampered with because the VIN tag appears to have been "moved" to the passenger side.

SOURCE
- Marti Auto Works - Concourse Quality, Hobbyist Price

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.