Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if a stock style '68 289 radiator will cool a mild 351W? By mild I mean 8.3:1 compression, stock cam, stock intake and exhaust manifolds (home ported), and home ported heads. It cools my 289 just fine, even with no fan shroud or anything.

I am going to do a junkyard turbo setup real soon on this car, and I've got a fresh 351W sitting here I can use but the budget simply won't support the purchase of a new radiator at this time. I can do the 289 instead, but I am concerned about block/rod strength. I think I would probably be alright, but I'm still concerned. The last thing I wanna do is frag the motor! Plus, although the 289 has good compression, low blowby, and runs great after I freshened up the top end, it is still 40 years old with over 150k miles.

Oh, another concern is the valve seats. The 351W heads are the later big chamber ones with hardened seats, these 289 heads are original and are not hardened. I will be switching over to propane soon and thus will most certainly need hardened seats.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Depends on how many rows it is. If it is a 4-row, it will probably cool it if it is in good shape and you have a fan/shroud on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2 row, I think. It's in good shape. I mean, I just don't understand why it would cool the 289 fine with no shroud or anything but be totally insufficient for a 351. They are both only outputting a few horsepower when driving around. I could see where it might heat up some after a 1/4 mile pass or something.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to run it and find out. I live in desert heat and mine wouldn't cool my stockish 289 during the summer months. You can always upgrade later, it's not a big deal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mikemustang289 on 9/11/06 3:48pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I ran a 20" wide 289 2 row radiator with a stock 351w. It was marginal at best and ran a little warm at highway speeds. I bought that radiator new for the application.

You are lucky that your radiator support will allow you to easily install a 24" wide radiator with multiple rows. I installed the 68' support in my 65' and use a 4 row, 24" copper stock type radiator for a small block with AC. My 393w stroker remains cool as a cucumber no matter how hard I run it in the heat of the summer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got a complete propane 4bbl setup, minus the tanks if you're interested. PM [email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts