Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who has a 68 Ranchero.It is currently stock suspension without power steering.He wants to go to power steering and would like to go to rack and pinion.I would like the money on the install but have had problems with every rack and pinion I have dealt with.I installed a rack that was a "bolt in" on a 67 ranchero years ago the customer supplied that used the stock suspension.It was some horrible Aussie made piece of crap that never worked right.I know there are some companies that make kits.Has anyone actually installed one that they are happy with?I don't think he wants the rack for header clearance as much as he would like something more modern as he was driving an Audi.Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
You could try Randals racks. Or unisteer. I personally know Randal and he claims unisteer stole his idea. I think they're similar systems. Totally bolt on. Randals are made in Canada and unisteer in USA.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I have the Unisteer rack on my '64 Falcon. Took awhile to work out most of the problems(not all). I called Randals rack before I found Unisteer and they told me they had nothing for the Falcon and wanted measurements which I did furnish them. That was the end of the conversation. Waited for an answer which never came. The Unisteer was a simple bolt in using the motor mount location. Any part I needed came in the mail in a couple of days at no cost. It was designed for the stock suspension and the FPA fit perfect.
It will be difficult to find the perfect rear steer rack. Steering radius is increased. If I had it do over again I would have gone with the R&C Mustang II even though it would have upped the cost a couple of thousand. Even that is not the perfect solution to modern day steering.
The Randal's rack company is in Wa. and their rack is no where close to being the same as the Unisteer rack.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Randals racks is located in Kelowna, British Columbia Canada. He's at a lot of our local cruise ins. I've only seen one of his racks on a Mustang. Looked ok. The Unisteer ones do look nicer.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
That could be, but when I talked with him he was in WA. At least the number was.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have a 67 Ranchero w/ 5.0&aod. I have researched this issue for years. My first choice is a good R&P but there don't appear to be any. I have considered using the Flaming River Mustang kit and placing alum spacers between there mounts and frame to make up the width difference.
At this time I plan on installing a Borgeson kit this fall.
Borgeson Universal Company :: Ford Cars 1952-77 :: 1966-1970 Ford Falcon & Ranchero

1 - 6 of 6 Posts