Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post so please bear with me on this.

Ive got a 68 Torino GT 2dr hardtop 302 auto with 29k original miles on it. It has the 8inch rear end with a 3.00 gear according to the Marti report I got on the car which also indicates its a 1 of 1.

Heres my question: can I put posi in the rear end to stop the one tire burn and what may be the best way to do this without burning up too much cash as I am on a budget.

Ive never messed with the rear gears of cars before and this is my first project car so any advise or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thanks

So this is just a drop in replacment once i verify if i have the 28 or 31 spline axle?

Any other tips on the install or any other upgrades that should go along with this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cool, thanks

So this is just a drop in replacment once i verify if i have the 28 or 31 spline axle?

Any other tips on the install or any other upgrades that should go along with this?
I've never done one before, pull the axles and the center section and have a pro set it up for you.

No stock 8" was 31 spline from what I can see.

9" could be either 28 or 31.

Stay with the stock 28 spline and re-use the axles

Might be cheaper to look for a set up 8" the way you want and keep the existing center case to re-install later for that true matching car.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Might be cheaper to look for a set up 8" the way you want and keep the existing center case to re-install later for that true matching car.
+1. Unless you have a diff expert that lives near you that does work on the side, your largest expense is the labor, along with the bearings, seals, shims, etc. You're talking $500 minimum for a TL unit, all installation and wear parts, and free labor (upgrade "rebuild" labor - you pull and replace it yourself). Most outfits will charge $200-300 for rebuild labor. Ouch - but that's the way it is.

If you can find a good used one, you can often save a lot of cash. And, be careful of the cheaper complete units, as they are often only scam-worded ads for spools (solid lock :mad:) or faked units using extra washers and springs to bind-up an open gear set to act like a limited-slip... for a while. If you're not sure, post the ad or photos of it here for verification.

Finally, yes, all 8" were 28-spline, using identical axles as the same width 9" 28-spline rear.

David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I plan to do the work myself as a cost saving measure but I dont really think it'd make to much sense to take a project car and pay to have someone else fix it up as in a complete resto, there are a few shops in the area that will do rear diff work if need be. I do need the car painted tho that Im not going to attempt myself.

I like the idea of just keeping the orig one complete and putting in a setup to my own liking and with the 302 i can cheat a little with the low hp by putting in a large rear gear.

would a 3.73 gear be a good alt to the 4.10? or something in that ballpark? Im building this car for crusing and fun more then fuel economy so mpg is no concern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts