Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

This past weekend I was putting new shocks in my GT and as some may know you have to remove the rear seat to get to the top stud for the rear shocks. In the process of removing the rear seat I noticed a tag was clipped to one of the upright cushions.

heres my question and ill list what the tag says below.

How can I decode this tag?

Ive decoded the normal Dash vin which actually seems to have placed there *aftermarket* and the driver door vin is *missing*. now the motor vins all match the vin on the dash but none of the vins ive found so far match the vin tag on the rear seat.

heres what the tag on the seat says

C80B63667000
V MGR 1 5 68
A8 2018 F4

I know the F4 is the 302 2bbl and the A is atlanta but whats everything else?

for the record the car was like this when I bought it earlier this summer, I found it in a barn in Tennesse so im not too suprised things dont match up. just curious.

Thanks
Garrett

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
That is an I.D TAG for the actual seat cushion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. and as far as the original build sheet goes, field mice got to it before I got the car, when I pulled the rear seat it was there just in about 1,000 pieces. But what else could one expect from a car that was in a barn in Tenn. I did however get a Marti report on it which helped identify some of the original options. The odd one being that it says to have come w pwr steering but its got a manual box in it now dont know why that would be but the original owners also removed the heat and the ac.

Thanks for the help guys apreciate it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want to see which items actually match up with the ORIGINAL vin number, pull off the front two fenders. Kinda a PITA to remove the brackets behind the grill, but on the two frame rails towards the front is the ACTUAL car vin. That is one way to be 100% sure what the cars actual vin is. The tag that was under your seat was just a seat tag.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well about that....the onlyactual vin tag that I have found so far is on the dash BUT, it is not rivited on to the dash more like glued and it appears to be a different style from the factory vin tag. like a replacement

When i run that vin number i get a Diamond blue torino GT with a 302 Auto on the floor,AC, pwr brakes (drums) and pwr steering . However this car is RED and has manu steering. someone also removed all the AC from the car as well as the Heat so as it is now its just the motor running one belt.

now i have also looked at the vin on the back on the back of the block and it matches the tag on the dash. And the casting date also coinsides with the date the car was made Jan 6th 68 car finished on Jan 7th or 10th of 68 one of the two cant remember exactly.

I have not pulled a fender but im planning on pulling the passenger since it had a dent in it that needes to be fixed anyway(only damage to car) so i hope i can finally figure out what the hell its is.

im not sure if the cars hot or whatever but it is titled to the other vin which is in my name so i would think if the vin listed was hot id have run into an issue by now. I think the only way to conferm it is to remove the fender. Any tricks to that? you seem to really know your stuff FE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not yet gotten a chance to pull the fender it has been cold up here in Michigan the past few weekends, however once I get a nice day ill pull it and ill let you guys know what I find out. Just posting to let you know I havnt forgotten the tips and info thats all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went through the same thing on my 1968, the vin tag on the windshield in 68 seems to be on the passenger side and placed under the glass prior to installing the windshield. I have seen this in other 68's also.

Like the others have said pull back one fender, bolts are across the top of the fender, around behind the headlight assembly and one located that can be seen once the doors are opened, bolt is closer the the top door hinge and of course the bottom of the fender behind the wheel well. It has been years since I pulled mine so if there are others I forgot I'm sorry.

If the vin under the fenders does not match your title then check it online and if you know a cop have them run it. If it's stolen oh boy it will show up and they check at least 4 different ways by computer.

Free VIN check to get started:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Here's my thread:

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/torino-pages/506175-vin-locations-1968-torino-gt-fastback.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about the delay guys haha, anyway the cars vins all match finally got around to checking the stamps on the front frame under the fender and sure enough they all match.

Since then I've got the motor and tranny out and they both match up as well so as far as I can tell I have a numbers matching 68 GT w 29k miles on it. Machinist verified low miles on rocker arms and valves when I had the heads ported and gasket matched along with a valve job ( 3 angle).

As far as I can tell either the car was repainted professionally or the tags wrong about the color. the rear diff also doesn't match up with the vin report. report claims 3.00, tag claims 2.79.

I'm going to put a 3.83 in it or something close to that.

Does anyone know if Ford used the protector plate thing? like a correction made after the vin was stamped to fix a mistake? I know GM did it for a while in the same era.

Thanks guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts