Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to replace my turn signal switch, it's not working properly. What irritates me though is that I had this done by a shop about two years ago. Only about a month after I had it replaced the switch started to be really stiff when using the turn signal lever. It was more stiff raising the lever for a right turn. A little later I felt something break, and when making a right turn I have to actually hold the signal lever up while I am making the turn otherwise the signal lever won't stay up and will stop signalling. Also the left turn signal stopped cancelling. Today I took the steering wheel off and noticed a few of the plastic pieces in the switch were broken off. Anyways.... now I am going to replace the switch myself, but I want to avoid having it break after the first month like last time. Are there any special ways the switch is supposed to be aligned or adjusted when it's installed? I have never done this before so what are the steps? Any tips you guys have would be great. Thanks!!!

John

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
WHat ahppened there John was the shop got ahold of an old part. Probably been on the shelf for several thousand years and the plastic got old on you quocker than it should have.

Nothing special about installing one just make sure there is no debris in the column before re-assembly.

FE

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Tape a wire or coat hanger on the old wires before pulling old switch from column. Then tape new switch wires to the baling wire to pull new wires back through the column. You will have a hard time fishing them back in the column without doing this. You want to stagger the wire ends to prevent a big knot. Once you get the wires pulled then worry about pulling the slack of each wire the rest of the was through that is next to switch.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I use lubriplate or thick white lube on the signaling cam and
cancelling arms. This greatly slows the wear and breakage
of those pieces- which is exactly what you experienced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts