Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to this community, but I hope to become an active and productive member.

I just bought my fourth '65 Fairlane a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. However, it's not without problems. Despite having an engine with low miles and an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl, manifold, and cam, it bogs under load. I noticed when I bought it that it doesn't have the get-up-and-go that it should, and the former owner said he thought the cam might be set too low. Then, while towing our little 1966 Cardinal camper into the mountains this weekend, it started bogging down and cutting out on some of the hills. When it wasn't under load, it ran fine. I adjusted the carb to a faster idle and made it to our destination, but took it back to the previous settings before coming home, downhill most of the way with little load.

I'm much more familiar with Holley and Rochester carbs than Edelbrock, but this sounds to me like a carb tuning problem. Is it possible that the stage II setting is off, or is the former owner right in saying that the cam is not set torquey enough? I know this much; my former '65s with stock 289s and 2bbls had better performance than this 302 is currently giving me.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and feedback.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 66 used to do the same thing, it got so bad that with two people and some luggage inside I had to struggle to maintain 40 when going uphill.

The mechanic figured it was the carb, but it turned out to be just a vacuum leak.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts