Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a 69 Torino that has a 302 in it that I just put 289 heads on now I cant keep the damn thing cool dose anyone have any idea what to check
I know the thrmostat is good and yes my coolent is good

·
Registered
18 Posts
How much too hot is it running? Maybe you have a little too much timing now since those are higher compression? Just a thought

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well when it is idling it's about 250 and yesterday I went from my inlaws were I did the work to my place on the other side of Vegas so about 20 mi and about 15 out it sky rocketed, I got to my place blowing off hard core

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Is the 302 an old 302 or a newer 5.0 block?

It really does sound like a head gasket issue, not to challenge your skills, but 250 degree coolant from a head change, that's the only thing that's changed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the only way there are on wrong is if were it says frunt on the gasket is sopost to be in the back me and my father in law both made sure they were on right befor I droped the heads in

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Sounds like you may have air pockets in the system. Did you burp out all the air?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What he said about the air pocket.... I had one of those one time even though I thought I had gotten all the air out of it. Turns out I didn't. You may already know but the best solution is drilling a small hole in the thermostat that way once the coolant starts circulating it is guaranteed to get all the air out before forming steam pockets.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Did you remember to put your fan blades back on :) ?
... and the right direction? ;) Retarded timing can do it, reversed head gaskets, air pockets, collapsing lower hose (missing or corroded 'spring' reinforcement), reversed thermostat (one brand can be installed backwards), wrong rotation pump, etc. Any other clues to give us?

David

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes, all of the above need checking. I have a 68 Torino and live in Henderson, NV. No problems. I DO run 25% antifreeze and 75% water. That helps somewhat as the heat transfer is slightly better. John--Las Vegas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts