Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have just arranged to buy a '69 cobra back from my father. I had sold it to him about 8 years ago, and when I heard he was about to sell it to a collector I couldn't let it go. Now I have to figure out how to pay for it, but it will be worth it.

My question is, the emblems were removed recently along with all chrome, etc. to freshly repaint the car, and now the snakes need to go back on the fenders, as well as possibly the hash marks on the side panels of the fastback...problem is, there are no holes to indicate where to place them. Does anyone know of a place to get templates or official measurements on where exactly these go? I think there's supposed to be holes at least for the hash marks and maybe for the snake emblems but at some point in the cars life they got filled in with body work or something...though none is visually apparent. Thanks for any help.

Eric

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Eric, there are always signs of hole filling. Use a flex mirror and look at the back of the panel. If it's not an original Cobra, then someone may be able to get the measurements for you, or you can calculate them from photos of original cars and drill away. The only issue with doing that on an original Cobra without finding the old holes first, is that the drilling will likely catch the edge of the original holes and cause more damage or misalignment.

David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, that makes sense. The car is a cobra, but I have no idea if the original fenders were used. Since the holes in the fastback panels were filled, it's a good chance the holes are there in the fenders and were filled and painted over by the same doofus. I believe when we acquired the car the emblems and hash marks were all adhered with emblem tape like most modern car emblems.

I'll check the back side. Thanks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
fender emblems and tail panel emblem are double sided tape. the hash marks are suppose to pop on pins just like the window chrome clips are held on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok. So for the hash marks I'll look for signs of filler. Then the measurements for location on the fenders I'll just have to guess at by looking at pictures of other cars who's owners probably also guessed at. Hmmm.

There's no official ford template or measurements in the shop manuals?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 68 FB and ground my hash mark numby's off. Young and dumb in 1979, I would like to reinstall them. Is it true some used studs and some where installed in holes? Anyone know?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts