Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the forum here and new to my 1969 Cougar xr7. This car originally was yellow with a 4 speed.. Currently it's an orange eliminator clone with a ford crate 302 and automatic. I have been working on switching it over from manual brakes to power brakes but ran into some issues. When I bought the car it had all new 4 wheel disc brakes with a new master cylinder and porportional valve. I picked up a pedal and brake booster, and got those installed easy enough.. But now I have some issues. While trying to fit the master cylinder onto the booster there is not enough clearance to swing past the suspension hump making it impossible for the master to attach to the booster. I rounded the corner off the porportional valve bracket (mounts under the master) and I can ALMOST get it to make the swing... But no go. Also I noticed even if I make the swing, the brake line inlets on the porportional valve will be pressed right up against the suspension tower making it impossible to run brake lines. My questions: do I need a particular master cylinder to make this work? Do I need to mount my porportional valve elsewhere to make this work? And after installing the new brake pedal the passenger side brake lights don't work. Below are a few pictures:
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/rileyfan88/image-2_zps1198cff9.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/rileyfan88/image-2_zpsa5158c20.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e335/rileyfan88/image-2_zpsdba9a9ec.jpg

*edit... When I said porportioning valve I really am referring to the distribution block.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Is the brake booster and master cylinder the right one for this car?

Also 4 wheel discs have a larger rear brake resevior in the master cylinder which could make it longer. This may be causing your problem.

I have a '69 mustang with stock disc\drum power brakes. if you want I can measure the length of the booster\master cyl setup to see if your is longer.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
It's hard to tell by the pics - but do you think it would fit if it was already mounted to the booster? If so, you could remove the export brace, loosen the booster, tip it straight up to attach the MC and drop it back down. Normally, if the correct booster is used, standard iron MCs will fit. I would have Blulakr get you comparative dimensions and verify there is room before you struggle with it. I can't help there - my '69 Cougar has manual disc brakes.

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got everything to fit. I had to remove the distribution valve and bracket that was mounted underneath the master cylinder in order for it to fit.. But now the booster and master are installed. I'm going to relocate the dist. Valve over onto the driver side fender (the factory location) and then just rerun some new line. I will keep you guys posted!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts