Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

69 Country Squire, AirRide, Spindles, on 20's

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  joelb114 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share some photos and info on my current project.
I've got alot of good info off this site and thought I'd put some back...
is my 69 Country Squire wagon with a 429 in it...

T

I put AirRide Shockwaves on the front and their tapered sleeves on the rear. Installation was relatively easy and I hooked it all up to AirLift's autopilot I found on Craigslist....
The wheels are Ridlers; the rears are 20x10 w/ 5.5"bs w/ 265/45r20
the fronts are 20x8 w/ 4.5"bs w/ 245/40r20. They fit great, backspacing is perfect. The rear sinks to the stops and nothing rubs or hits. I did have to do very minor clearancing (rolled the pinchweld) on the front dogleg.
The front doesnt rub or hit on anything
Everything works pretty well, and it got me to here...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
After exhaustive research looking for drop spindles, I got ahold of FatMan and sent them a spindle. He measured them and determined that with minor tweaks there spindles would work and he sent me the first set of drop spindles for 69-72 Galaxie's.
The spindles are expensive ($600# and requires granada rotors and camaro calipers, which was another $400 at Napa. I should have ordered the rotors and calipers from Fatman for $275 #hindsight.....# Getting the stuff from a salvage yard would be best, but I don't have any nearby.
The install required either trimming the lower control arms or machining the rotors. I chose to trim the control arms which may not have been the best choice, but it worked. I also had to trim the steering arms and tierods #1/2" each)

I had to do some work on the front wheelwell to make room for the sidewalls, and now the car will drive and steer (a little) on the stops

I think it looks pretty cool, and it can't go any lower without major surgery.
Hope you guys like it and hopefully there is some information you can use.

#5 ·
When reading along was thinking oh hell another car put on 20's, BUT pictures made me say WOW!! It looks great, and hopefully the info given can/will help others trying to do the same.....

#6 ·
Thanks for the nice comments, guys!
These big cars look good on 20's, but they have to stuffed on the ground...
Honestly, I would like could find some 18" steelies or centerline smoothies and paint them off-white with poverty hubcaps, I think it would be so cool.....

#10 ·
Thanks for the comments guys! I appreciate it...

I ended up putting the car back to stock and selling it, so I've got the suspension setup to sell. I have the front Shockwaves and rear tapered bags from Airride, drop spindles from Fatman w/ brand new rotors and calipers, and the Airlift Easy Street air management system.
P.M. me w/ questions
All these parts were relatively easy to install and got the car as low as possible without doing major surgery. It rode and drove great as well....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.