Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone asked if I would post my Marti Report. Here's the car and the report below it. There is a difference between the Marti Report and the original build sheet I have with the car. Marti Report says blue cloth interior, build sheet says black Fairlane interior. (Is that the trim variation listed at the bottom of the Marti Report? I don't know). The paint is original and I do l like those low number paint coded manufactured. And only 459 with these paint/trim codes. Considering this was the first year for this body style, and the 70's were all four door Fleet except a few. I think I will keep it. Especially since it runs perfect, has nearly no rust, little surface rust here and there I already treated. The brown spot on the trunk isnt rust, it is where the paint was worn off to the primer. I decided to leave it as is and treat it. Zero rust underneath, zero rust under the hood, on the floor pans or in the trunk.

Couple of letters fell off the F O R D on the hood but I already have the replacement letters, off another '69 Ford to put back on. Needs a roof liner, have t set up to get one put in. $100.

Marti Report is below the photo's. Anyone know what "Basic Off-Standard Equipment" means or is? I can guess but would like to be sure.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Nice looking 69, I've always had a liking for the 2 door sedans. Off-standard may mean since you have 302 and C4 your car has optional features. Would be interesting to find out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on and thanks to 5851a's links, here is what it has that are not standard features.

SelectShift C4 was not standard.
Radio.
Power Steering, apparently that is three options in one and this has all three. Power Steering with tilt wheel and select shift was one package.
Power front disk brakes
color matched deluxe three spoked steering wheel.
Wheel covers (the build sheet shows that as extra ordered)
Left this out. Dealer mounted passenger mirror and interior lights.

Originally I thought and asked here, if this might be a cop car because it has some of the specs of the 1969 Sentinel. I think I just found out what it is because of that link.

It has heavy duty suspension, large diameter stabilizer, and even though replaced before I bought it still has heavy duty shocks. It also explains why there are wires in the trunk coming out of the left taillight that I haven't been able to figure out. It's not a cop car, It's a towing package. On the GT Package that heavy duty stuff is standard on all 2 door hard tops and convertibles.

Now I also know why there are also chrome radio mounts under the dash. For a tape deck. I thought with all this heavy duty stuff the mounts must be for a Police Radio but I couldn't find anywhere a police antennae would be mounted. On the front left or on the trunk. I thought maybe the wear spot on the trunk. But no.

This also has factory undercoating and trunk coating vs. dealer undercoating according to the Ford Book.

Now I need to check under the rear to see if there is any sign of a tow hitch.

According to the document in the link there are also additional non-standard options not listed. Would like to find those.

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
I wish they had the marti reports for the 64s. I got one for my sister's cougar, it was only on the lot a few days and sold. Would love to know on my car. Found original owner but he probably wouldn't of known that info and his uncle who worked at that dealership would be long gone.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Interesting that it sat for 5 1/2 months after released and Cincinnati had ordered 188 2 dr sedans for 69. I think the towing pkg required 390 or larger engine. 3 spoke steering wheel on a Custom has to be quite a rare combination. Another direction, Ford did build Springtime Specials for many years that combined a small group of options to get people back to the show rooms at really low prices, usually spring colors. I used to own a White day sale 67, I believe they were all white with red vinyl interior, 289 C4 PS PB, mine had factory AC and was never sure if that was included in pkg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I saw that about the 390 and bigger. But this does have heavy duty everything, plus the extra factory cooling. It's not a cop car. At least I don't think it was. But one thing I did find was a village police department near where the dealership was that auctioned two 1969 Ford Custom 500 Police Cars with no Police options. In 1970. So for whatever reason, the notice simply says they are no longer needed, that Police department auctioned two of these at one year old. But the trim and options list was available at the Police Station for $1. So options on those unknown.

I didn't even think about it until you just mentioned it, but I can check sales the week this car was purchased at that dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Most police dept. around here sends older officers to server papers and warrants. Maybe the options were just grouped for a warrant officer headed for retirement. Does by chance your car have a Car-Lite shaded windshield along with single key locking or 2.5 MPH graduated speedometer? Front seat spring/foam dead giveaway for police use. Extra Heavy Duty. You don't sit in the seat you set on it. In later years, late 70's Ford would affix a little tiny square badge to deck lid, it was chromed plastic with a S in the center. Slightly OT but you could do fleet order of shaded windshield, but all of the rest of the glass would be clear. It wouldn't say SunX it would just say CarLite. Sorry to add misery to your search.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
There might be an explanation for some of it. I researched this about a month ago because I was trying to figure out why this car had so much weird stuff on it. During fourth quarter '68, Ford employees went on strike. They were the only manufacturer that went on strike at the time and for the entire fourth quarter. Almost bankrupted Ford. In Henry Fords press conferences he said it put the '69 Preorders six months behind. He also said they were three months behind in parts to build cars. When the strike ended he told the Press first order of business was to catch up on preorders by using the parts they had on hand. By the end of 1st quarter '69 he told the press they were caught up on preorders and parts and everything was back to running normally.

Disregard my last, now deleted line. This car was built during 1st Quarter '69.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
1/31? Same old song today, some 68's had pillar and knee protection and others didn't. Lack of parts?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks for posting. Good job on doing your homework. According to the `69 Buyers Digest, here’s a breakdown on your car:

Base Price:
1969 Custom 500 2-door - $2,731

Options:
302 - $105
Select-Shift Auto - $200.85
AM Radio - $61.40
Wheel Covers - $78.35
Trailer-Tow Package - $110.16
Tilt Steering - $45.92 (available with PS and Selectshift only)
Power Steering - $100.26
Power Front Disc Brakes - $64.77
Visibility Group** - $24.01

** Judging by your description of “interior lights” and a dealer-mounted passenger mirror which was likely to match a LH remote mirror, you have the “Visibility Group” which included left-hand remote mirror, parking brake warning light; underdash courtesy light, possibly an ignition light and also and lights in the glove box, ashtray and trunk.

All told, the options totaled $686.77 (not including whitewalls) which is a 25% premium. FYI, generally there were two types of cars back then ... “dealer stock” and customer-ordered. Obviously the dealer cars were those the dealer ordered to fill up their showrooms. In short, the dealers brought in the cars they thought they could sell. Customer-ordered cars obviously are those were someone walked into the dealership and specifically checked the boxes. To that end, it wasn’t typical that someone would order a bunch of options on a bottom-line car.

By the way, on the trailer towing package, with a 302 it was highly setup for Class-1 which is up to 2,000lbs weight (200lbs tongue load). Class IIs (Medium) and IIIs (Heavy Duty) were on another level. In your case, the Select-Shift Automatic, Disc Brakes, Power Steering, Extra Cooling Package, bigger H78-15 tires and 3.25-1 rear end would have all been either required or recommended. Together with the dual mirrors, it seems clear someone walked into Hardenbrook Ford with the specific intention of buying a car that could pull a trailer.

Why it took so long to complete the sale is another story.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I wish they had the marti reports for the 64s. I got one for my sister's cougar, it was only on the lot a few days and sold. Would love to know on my car. Found original owner but he probably wouldn't of known that info and his uncle who worked at that dealership would be long gone.
Maybe do what I did before I ordered the Marti Report and already had almost all the info on the report.

I used American Cars 1960-1972. Every Model by Kelly Flory Jr. Tons of info there.
Standard Catalog of Ford 1903-1998.
Encyclopedia of American Police Cars. 1999 by Edwin J. Sanow
Newspaper Archives. Every State now has free Newspaper Archives, to find out what was going on with Ford at the time the cars were built.
Defense Department and State Department Records on Automobile Orders. For example, the Embassy Motor Pools were still ordering parts for the '69 Custom in 1973. The Embassy in Nairobi could have completely built a '69 Custom with all the parts they were ordering.
I used SAJ (Southern Automotive Journal) testing and measurements on the 302. They did and do every engine. Even today, Roush is part of SAJ. 1969, specific specs and measurements down to the nuts and bolts.

What the Marti Report told me. Number of Engine/Transmissions produced. Number produced in this color. There are additional options not listed. The Marti Report does say it will list 3 options. Not all of them unless you get the Elite. So I went ahead and ordered the window sticker from Marti yesterday.

Another thing I did was talk to two older guys that owned dealerships, one up until the 90's and one into the 2000's but both went back to the 1960's. One of them looked at the car and said the heavy duty suspension was highly unusual because these cars drove like Cadillac's but were known for their weak suspensions. He said they built the suspension too light for the weight of the car so these were brought back every year or two for suspension work and they didn't last. He said great cars but the suspension were too weak and suggested the heavy duty suspension may not be original.

Another thing I started considering when pointed out above is the Cincinnati DSO ordered a large number of these cars. How does a car that is known to turn into a rust bucket after about five years and has a weak suspension remain in this condition? Wright-Patterson AFB is only about 50 miles from this DSO. The TMP's used Customs in their Fleets. TMP's (Whatever they call them in the AF) maintain TMP vehicles like new until turnover. I traced this car to its last four owners. This car has spent it's entire life in Ohio until it was sold in Indiana. That's a lot of snow, salt and other bad weather to have almost zero rust.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Somethings just never seem to show up in published data, I went and looked at the local ford deal one time at a 1969 Mercury Custom 4 dr sedan, dark green with pristine interior and exterior except a little front fender parking lot ding. It had 3 on the tree and a 351W engine. No AC or PB. I told salesman I wanted it. he told me I had to wait because the mechanic that had serviced it for years had first dibs. Next day it was sold. I cannot find any info that any 69 Mercury full size ever came with 351W. Years later at same dealer my parents bought a conversion van, when the front shocks wore out, I couldn't find anything that compared to the same size. Finally went to dealer and asked, they pulled a file out of a drawer and said oh yes, we ordered that with the conversion van suspension. Went to the parts counter and came home with the proper parts.

·
Administrator
21,955 Posts
I know all the basic stuff but not the details like how many that color interior exterior, how many with swingaway column were sold etc. How long before it was sold after it was delivered and if it made it off the assembly line on time or was it early or late. My sis's cougar i got a marti for just so i could see what they say. It was 3 days late off the line.

I found the original buyer of my car but he wouldn't know any of the details, such as how long it was on the lot. DSO was Seattle from San Jose assembly plant and then it went to a Ford dealer in Portland Oregon area. I did stop in there one day to talk to them. It's not the same dealership but the original dealership moved to that location in 1974 I think it was and then the owner passed away and Landmark Ford took over around 1979. The secretary had been there for years and showed me where the old building area and sections were and what was addition. After I left and continued my long drive I thought of other questions. I should of called and asked them! I finally found a license plate frame and one newspaper photo when they moved to the new building but absolutely nothing else about the original dealership. Thankfully a friend in CA had a book or something with dealership info and he gave me the address for the original location. One day I'm going to check out the strip mall and get a pic. lol

I was told by a Ford man that's almost an encyclopedia that the white interior is pretty rare but that's all I really know on that. Nothing to back it up. Marti reports are pretty cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts