Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if a rug-j toploader out of a fairlaine 1967 i belive.will fit in my 69 cyclone and line up with the proper shifter location,i have a console in my car and want everything right. thanks

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
my understading is that the 66-68 fairlane toploaders are 24" long
and 69-71 are 27" long which is the same lentght as being used in the full size like galaxie....
Toploader Price List

tailshaft housing have diffrent lenghts and shifter mounting provisions...
Tailhousing ID Chart

are you doing a 4spd conversion or just need a replacement tranny??

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i need a replacement my orig was already gone and replaced with a 3spd od. toploader imposter.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so is it right that in my understanding this i need a toploader with a 17inch length tailstock C9OR-7A040-A for a 428,which my car currently has a390 in it.
31 spline or 28 spline can be used by switching the drive shaft front yoke? are the tailstocks interchangeable or is it a opening a whole new can of worms?

·
Registered
201 Posts
if it already had a 3 with od in it than any toploader from a 289 to a 390 will bolt right back in and a fairlane tranny should put the shifter in the right spot. a mustang tranny will have the shifter in the wrong spot but some mustang trannys had a double bolt pattern. you cannot swap a 428 tail housing to any other tranny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts