Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i just pulled a 69 cyclone out of the weeds and am debating on restoring it.it is in canada so it has some rust but the undercarriage is good and the engine runs good and still drives ok.its a gt with a 390 and a 4 spd but i need some help with the vin to understand exactly what this car is.or if its correct with the gt or drivetrain. 9h16r58 is the first few numbers on the vin. any help would be appreciated . thanks

·
Registered
813 Posts
Im no numbers expert, but the first digit...9 means 1969.
The fifth digit....R means 428 Cobra Jet engine with Ram Air!!

So you've got a 69 Cyclone GT with a 428 CJ/4Spd.....yes, its certainly worth restoring!!
Its one of the rarest and most desirable musclecars on the planet....dont let rust scare you away...thats a bad ass car you have there!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
9 = model year 1969
H=Assembly Plant, Lorain
16=Body Code Cyclone GT
R= Engine code, 428 Cobra Jet
The last 6 digits are the consecutive unit production number for that model year from that Assembly plant.
Check to see if you still have the door data plate codes, located on the latch face of the driver's door, there are more numbers there that will tell you the colors, transmission, rear end and interior.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Someone just hit the lotto!

Thats an investment, restore it to 100% original, do it right, and will pay itself off.

Congrads, show us some photos :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow i cant belive it i will send some photos.im not full of crap but maybe a lucky sh&t.it has a 390 in it now.or ithink it is . if i can figure out how to add some pictures here.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
first of all thanks for all you help! when i seen this car i thought it was kool and i hadnt seen another like it before but i thought it might be something rare or diffrent.i own a 68gt mustang coupe that i restored and i love my fords.and when i seen this with a big block and a four speed with a tach in the dash i had to have it.forgive my ignorance this is the first cyclone i have ever seen.i did pull it out of the weeds,it had been sitting for at least 4-5 years behind a garage in the grass since the last owner had been in a life threating snowmobile accident where it left him with a left leg that he could not clutch the car or hardly walk.and the left side is the same condition is the right i just didnt send a pic i think.according to the mto this car was sold in toronto ontario canada and i am the fourth owner on this car.the first had it since new to 1987.and the last owner had it from 1988 to nov1 2007 when i bought it. i have to find out if its the original engine,anyone know how i can tell? i know the doors have been replaced because they are diffrent colors under the door panels then the rest of the car .any help would be appreciated. thanks fellow ford friend.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you are lucky, ( ok, ok, we know you are) On the rear, drivers side of the block. Just below the head is a raised pad. This is where you would find a partial VIN #. Of all the FE motors I have owned, I have only seen one actually stamped, and it is a 69 Cj. Thats the only way to say it is the original motor. If it really is a 428 with 390 valve cover emblems, I love it even more.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i paid 3000.00 i thought the motor and trans would be awsome to put in my mustang and i would still have the car to play with.but now i would not do that knowing the cars rarity.my wife was not happy with what i paid for that old piece of (junk) as she called it.but these last few emails totaly changed her opinion as well as mine.the motor and trans had been rebuilt 4 yrs ago before the accident and the man was just trying to get some money back out of it and i wasnt about to try and talk him down.ithink it might of been a good call now on my part.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You need to check the VIN# on the door against the one on the dash.
If you say the doors have been swapped out, then the door may have come from a 428 CJ car, and your car is a 390- car...or viseversa.
There should be a VIN plate on the dash by the windshield, and there is also a VIN # stamped on the inner fender apron on the drivers side. It may be under the fender...you may have to remove the drivers side fender to see it.
Get those numbers and we could tell you for sure what you got.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i will pull the fender off but im going to wait to the end of the month.thats when my mustang goes in storage for the winter and i can put the cyclone in the garage and start working on it.and the doors have been replaced and the vin is from the dash left corner by the windshield.i will inform back once the fender is off.icant seem to see the numbers on the engine. i will proably have to take the hood off to see them also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts